Can A Bottom Layer Of Java Moss Be Used As A Filter In A 5 G?

betta_luv

Reaction score
Hey Buddies,
I intend using a bottom layer of Java Moss as a filter in a 5 g (18 x 9 x 9) with just 1 male Betta, as I understand that Java Moss can control nitrite levels. Would members please provide their valuable inputs as regards whether a bottom layer of Java Moss can be used as a filter in a 5 g tank with just 1 male Betta? If yes, then how often would I need to do water changes? Also, would I still need to do a 100% water change?
Cheers

Hey Buddies,
I intend using a bottom layer of Java Moss as a filter in a 5 g (18 x 9 x 9) with just 1 male Betta, as I understand that Java Moss can control nitrite levels. Would members please provide their valuable inputs as regards whether a bottom layer of Java Moss can be used as a filter in a 5 g tank with just 1 male Betta? If yes, then how often would I need to do water changes? Also, would I still need to do a 100% water change?
Cheers
I very much doubt it. Just get yourself a cheap HOB filter, or make your own DIY filter, see the pinned thread in the DIY forum. If your not using a filter then either small waterchanges everyday, or 100% water changes every week. If you use a filter you can just change 20% of the water every week.

Neal

Yeh I would be sceptical, just get a cheap small filter.

Sam

I currently have a "no-tech" set-up in an IKEA vase just a tad larger than a pint glass. I have Java Moss and 2 small Moneywort clippings. There is a soil base covered in about 1" of gravel. There is also a scrap of bogwood in the tank. For lighting it has been getting only sunlight for about 8 hours per day. There are 7 or 8 of the typical "pest" snails in the set-up, as well as snail eggs. I do a 75% water change weekly.

For shiggles (sh*** & giggles) I tested the water after reading this post.
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0 -- it's been 5 days since the last water change
NO2 --0
NO3 --0

My handful of snails in a pint glass might equate to your betta in a 5g. And, as bettas are usually kept in much less, without filtration, I would think that with healthy, regular water changes and zero overfeeding, it's possible.

Also, from what I understand, Bettas would prefer an air-powered filter over a HOB because they don't like too much water movement.

So to answer your question, yes, the plants (more than just java moss) would help keep levels down, but you would still need to do regular water changes.

Most reactions

Back