Cabomba

Fintastic!

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My Cabomba (spelling?) is starting to go a little brown. Any ideas why this could be? Lights are T5's and they're on from 4pm-10pm each day. Thanks!

What temperature if your water and are you dosing any ferts of any kind? Sounds like a lack of nutrients to me. Something i was guilty of when i first started. My lights would be on pretty much all day and i wasn't giving them any extra food.

its a horrible plant for a tropical tank (in my opinion) its so messy :/

pull it out, cut it in half and replant the top of it, its the best way to get rid of the rot

+1 to what Tizer said, I used to have Cabomba too but I eventually gave up on it. It seems to be a very picky plant. If you can, I'd reccomend buying Limnophilia Sessiflora instead. Here's a post I put up a while ago explaining about it more: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/382686-how-do-i-anchor-down-cabomba/page__p__3214694#entry3214694

What temperature if your water and are you dosing any ferts of any kind? Sounds like a lack of nutrients to me. Something i was guilty of when i first started. My lights would be on pretty much all day and i wasn't giving them any extra food.
The water is set at 24 celcius and I stick one of those fert tabs in at the roots every 3 weeks or so Minnnt.

its a horrible plant for a tropical tank (in my opinion) its so messy :/

pull it out, cut it in half and replant the top of it, its the best way to get rid of the rot
Tizer,I thought is looked nice as it's a lovely green colour but bits keep coming off it and sticking to the filter. Pain in the rear

+1 to what Tizer said, I used to have Cabomba too but I eventually gave up on it. It seems to be a very picky plant. If you can, I'd reccomend buying Limnophilia Sessiflora instead. Here's a post I put up a while ago explaining about it more: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/382686-how-do-i-anchor-down-cabomba/page__p__3214694#entry3214694
Thanks ATK, I've noted down the name of that plant so the hunt begins! I'll get rid of the Cabomba.
Thanks for all your help guys! :good:

hi i have had my tank for 1 month an got some cabomba i stated with about 6 pices aprox 5" long now it was about 18" in about 2 and a half weeks so broke them in half and replanted both halfs and i only had about 3 pices floting in my tank soon i will have a curten right down the back of i love this plant it is so easy the only problem it grows to fast

I personally love it. It grows well in my tanks. Fintastic, i would dose some liquid fertiliser instead of root tabs. With it being one of the fastest growing stem plants available it will more than likely get the vast majority of it's nutrients from the water column as oppose to it's roots. Cabomba can often reach the surface before it has even got any kind of root system going. By the time it does, you're pulling it out to prune the bottom off to replant it, so the tabs would be better used around plants such as Crypts.

Another attractive alternative is Limnophila. Vibrant green and slightly finer leaf shape.

Thanks for your advice guys! I'll hack off the brown bits and get some liquid fertilizer and see how it goes. I can just cut it at the stem and plant the stem?

Most reactions

Back