Buying Fish Online

stiffler69

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi i run a online store and would like to know what sort of fish you the enthusiast would like to be availble, what would you expect from the service and most of all would you use a online store over a trip to the lfs? obviously prices online are some what cheaper due to less overheads.

bump/hump heads? i really want 2 of these but cant find them now :(
id like courteous CS and an arive alive gt

Never heard of them fish ill check to see if any of the local breeders i use have them, also we do a arrive alive gurantee, and im not sure what a courteous CS is lol

thanks for input

bump/hump heads? i really want 2 of these but cant find them now :(

Never heard of them fish ill check to see if any of the local breeders i use have them, also we do a arrive alive gurantee, and im not sure what a courteous CS is lol

thanks for input

Courier service I think... :huh:

customer services :D ( lazyness kicking in,sorry)
please do and if you find any ( would like black) let me know
good.gif

bump/hump heads? i really want 2 of these but cant find them now
sad.gif

thanks for input

Courier service I think...
huh.gif

yup and that :lol:

if i was you i would start out with some or most of the basics and then have the rest as uncommon fish like certain chiclids,catfish,and rainbows. and as you progress get the rest of the basics and continue adding uncommon fish. it would also be cool if you could have a sort of special request kinda thing evetually.

have you set this up yet? if so whats the web address?

hope things go well!

I only ever look for one thing in on line fish. I look for fish that are hard to find locally. If a remote vendor has what I want and I cannot get it locally, I will buy on line. If I can get something either place, my LFS gets the business almost every time. Shipping costs so much that the small cost savings on each fish is way offset by the shipping charges. Try an example, a real one that I did. I bought some Corydoras hastatus for a mere $1.50 each, which sounds very cheap when most cories cost about $4 each and the hastatus were not even available locally. End result, the cories cost $1.50 each so that is $18 for a dozen fish, another $30 for express shipping so that the fish would arrive in good shape. Total for 12 fish was $48 for 12 fish or about $4 each. If I had not wanted that many fish, each one would have cost me more than buying locally. Now I had placed myself in the hands of someone that I did not know and had bought a dozen fish based on textbook descriptions and internet pictures of the fish he had in stock a month ago, not the ones I was buying. Why would I do that if I could go down the street, inspect the fish and buy as many or as few as I wanted for the same price per fish?
I find internet sellers are generally good business people and try hard to give good service and value to the customer but my trust is hard to gain and very easy to lose when you are just a name on the internet. A hard to find fish, not a bread and butter fish, is the only thing that would get me buying on line under normal circumstances. I do make an exception for a club like ALA doing a fund raiser by selling on line. I know the organization and I really want to support them. In their case I make the exception, and am even willing to pay a bit of a premium for their fish, but I lost that auction bid.

Angel fish and Rarer Livebearer's / Halfmoon betta's stuff like that :good: Also have a variety of pictures! So we know what where buying :D

^ as above makes sense think you will get more business if you make a name for yourself as a stocker of hard to get hold of fishes :good:

Yea yea. If you get soem half moons etc.

I Will proberly buy online..

Maybe Cut postage/courier prices odwn?

I think something that everone has missed is that of feedback on your site. One thing I have learnt to look for is decent feedback before buying online! I don't mean the typical ebay style of 'arrived safe and well' but more of a one/two days later type thing if you know what I mean. I've learnt the hard way that it is easy to receive a fish and leave feedback saying that it's great because it arrived alive, but then have had it die less than 12 hours later and infect my tank in the meantime will all kinds of troubles.

For me I would say stay away from betta's, too much of a market already. Rams, small'er plecs, rarer tetra's and a selection of brackish fish would be a good way to go. Oto's would probably be a very beneficial one to go for once the word of your business got out.

Big_eye's

One fault cant end the world... :crazy: you just learn for mthe mistake dont buy them from that seller..

Or q/t it if you can..

Big_eye's

One fault cant end the world... :crazy: you just learn for mthe mistake dont buy them from that seller..

Or q/t it if you can..

The last betta wasn't the only one. There was the chain loach that gave my tank worms, the keyhole that came with whitespot.....

Not everyone who is going to buy from him will have a quarantine tank.

Most reactions

Back