Bumps on rasbora bellies?

Reaction score
Hello, just joined here, been reading countless posts anonymously so time to make mine though I wasn't expecting it to be this way lol.
So I did a water change last Saturday cleaned the filter using the aquarium water, gravel vacuumed and cleaned the hard water stains. The water got a cloudy afterwards but cleared up the next day.
Then when I checked on the fish some got these bumps on the stomach that make them look like they ate a grain of sand giving a bulgy appearance. So I assumed that maybe they're just not fed yet therefore the weird appearance because I fast them on water change day.

But I fed them later that day and here comes Monday which is today I checked on them and there it is the bumps. I made medicated fish food with metro and fenbendazole and fed them and added Epsom salt to their tank as I think this may be a parasitic something or may just be blockage.

I can't send pics right now coz they're just fed maybe tomorrow before feeding. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Can't offer advice without the pictures.

If the fish have been starved over the last month or so, the bumps might be from the food they are eating. If the bumps go down a few hours after eating and come back when the fish are fed, it's food in skinny fish.

Can't offer advice without the pictures.

If the fish have been starved over the last month or so, the bumps might be from the food they are eating. If the bumps go down a few hours after eating and come back when the fish are fed, it's food in skinny fish.
No I did not starve them over the last month hahaha, just on Saturdays. The bumps stay even when not fed. Additionally they still eat greedily and swim around

I made medicated fish food with metro and fenbendazole and fed them and added Epsom salt to their tank as I think this may be a parasitic something or may just be blockage.
Hello and welcome :)
Medications can be harsh on the fish, often worse than the original problem, especially when we don’t know what is wrong.
Epsom salts shouldn’t go in the tank. It is magnesium so the GH will be increased making the water harder. Rasbora are soft water fish and will not appreciate the extra minerals. It also interferes with the fish’s osmoregulation. A few big water changes will reduce the Epsom salts.
Then try and post pictures of the bumps.

Medications can be harsh on the fish, often worse than the original problem, especially when we don’t know what is wrong.
Epsom salts shouldn’t go in the tank. It is magnesium so the GH will be increased making the water harder. Rasbora are soft water fish and will not appreciate the extra minerals. It also interferes with the fish’s osmoregulation. A few big water changes will reduce the Epsom salt
I don't think they were wild caught so the water hardness prolly is not an issue for them (fingers crossed)? They're from the city I live in which has hard water anyways 😓. Tomorrow I shall send the visuals.

Last edited:

Have a look at the article on water hardness to improve understanding.

The osmoregulation (electrolytes regulating and balancing the body fluids) will effect the whole biological system of the fish, the Epsom salt needs removing from the tank.

Have a look at the article on water hardness to improve understanding.

The osmoregulation (electrolytes regulating and balancing the body fluids) will effect the whole biological system of the fish, the Epsom salt needs removing from the tank.
But I put it in there for the osmoregulation part, because it seems like bloat and I have read that Epsom salt can or may help with that. Although it also said that it is for baths I just couldn't catch them even with the net I don't want to physically stress them out even more so I dosed the tank with 1 tbsp for 10 gallons, and since it is a 15 gallon with a lot of decor and relatively thick substrate I just supposed that the remaining water from the displacement is just about 10 gallons. 🥹

It's a myth that tank bred fish automatically adjust to your water - a convenient myth. You aren't going to reverse tens of thousands of years of adaptation in a few generations, and they are bred on softwater farms in Southeast Asia. They are then shipped to the mysterious place you live.

Look up images of lymphocystitis. As well, some fish have viral infections.

In any case, without a clear diagnosis, the meds are a negative. We automatically want to help our fish, but the wrong med or treatment (as with epsom salts for a harlequin) can do harm.

Last edited:
No I did not starve them over the last month hahaha, just on Saturdays. The bumps stay even when not fed. Additionally they still eat greedily and swim around
I didn't mean you starved them. If the fish were newly imported they are regularly starved during shipping so the water stays cleaner. The starved fish can then get bumps in their belly region when fed. If you have had the fish for a few months then it's unlikely to be skinny fish.

We really need pictures.

Video of them

As one might notice one of them has a bumpier?, stomach while the others have flatter bellies, which seem sunken? Or maybe its just how they look. But what do you think guys for now

This is 5 hours plus after their feeding.

I will send another vid tomorrow

I know said that I will send the vids tomorrow I just can't calm down I have school next week it really stresses me out prolly more than the fish.

Ay!

Epsom salt should be used as a bath outside the tank not added to the tank. The fish is left in the bath for a maximum of 30 minutes, but if it becomes distressed within that time it should be returned to the tank immediately.

I don't see any bumps on them in the video but it's low resolution. They are pretty slim so if they are eating a big meal, it might show up as a bump.

A couple of them do have sunken bellies which could be a sign of disease.
How long have you had the fish and what are they fed on?
Have you tried de-worming medication before?

Most reactions

Back