Bumblebee Catfish (Pseudomystus siamensis)

TNG

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has kept this fish? Given that it’s nocturnal, is it worth keeping?

I found them to be very hidey, even in a group. They'll come out and tour the whole tank when the lights go off if there are no intimidating fish, eg cichlids, but you'll hardly see them when the lights are on. Beautiful fish though, one of my favourite cats.

• Useful
Reactions: TNG
I caught one in a Mekong tributary when I was a kid and that was the only time I saw one in their natural environment. Apart from their habitat I know almost nothing about them. Hoping to get one and see how it goes.

They're often said to be ok on their own. I don't believe that. Keep a group and they'll all rest together, on top of each other like kuhlies or clown loach. If you keep one on its own you'll hardly ever see it, and when you do it'll just look stressed. Keep 2 or 3 and they'll fight, like peaceful shoaling species often do. I kept about a dozen in a 4ft tank and they were always together, and always peaceful.

My experiences with them is the same as Ichthys. They hide all day under rocks or wood. They always hang out in groups under the rocks/ wood and are actually quite peaceful. However, they will eat small fish if they get hungry but they have smallish mouths so won't go swallowing big fish like some catfish do. They eat anything meat based and are quite tough. Males have a long thin anal fin.

They're often said to be ok on their own. I don't believe that. Keep a group and they'll all rest together, on top of each other like kuhlies or clown loach. If you keep one on its own you'll hardly ever see it, and when you do it'll just look stressed. Keep 2 or 3 and they'll fight, like peaceful shoaling species often do. I kept about a dozen in a 4ft tank and they were always together, and always peaceful.
I’d have to set up another tank if I want to keep a dozen in a 4 foot species tank, so that’s unlikely to happen in the near future.
One of my 4’ tanks has 7 African cichlids and a rainbow shark in it, so I don’t think that’s suitable for the bumble bees.

My experiences with them is the same as Ichthys. They hide all day under rocks or wood. They always hang out in groups under the rocks/ wood and are actually quite peaceful. However, they will eat small fish if they get hungry but they have smallish mouths so won't go swallowing big fish like some catfish do. They eat anything meat based and are quite tough. Males have a long thin anal fin.
That's good info.
Do you think that fish the size of Black Ruby Barb be safe if kept with the bumble bees in a 4’ tank?
They are tough, like the snakeheads and climbing perch. They can survive out of water for a long time if kept moist.

Most reactions

Back