Bulkhead Leaking

nicky1200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have just added two bulkheads to my tank and there seems to be a little drip coming from them both,.

Im just wondering if the nut goes on the inside of the tank or out ??

Here is a photo of my bulkhead
$T2eC16VHJIIE9qTYKKd8BRQ2T,Qs3Q~~60_12.JPG

Inside of the tank, I'd get some sealant for it cause I had leaks from things like those too. It's mostly down to being cheaply made and too much pressure.

techen said:
Inside of the tank, I'd get some sealant for it cause I had leaks from things like those too. It's mostly down to being cheaply made and too much pressure.
What kind of sealant ? I have some fish tank silcone here but they say not to use it because it makes the rubber seal move....

I would try and put silcone on it anyway. It may stop it leaking and you'll be good to go.

I contacted the seller who i bought it off and was told i had it the wrong way and that the screw bit goes on the outside of the tank and not the inside. At this point i all ready siliconed the bulkhead up. So now i have to wait a few days for it to cure and hope for the best.

Personally, I remove the rubber ring, and put the nut on the outside, then use silicone instead of the rubber.

The pressure of the water holds the bulkhead against the tank.

DrRob said:
Personally, I remove the rubber ring, and put the nut on the outside, then use silicone instead of the rubber.

The pressure of the water holds the bulkhead against the tank.
I so wish i thought of putting the nut on the out side before i spent all day putting it on the inside. I have a overflow in my tank and have 2 holes at the bottom of the overflow for inlet and outlet and i had to try and get ym arm down in the overflow to screw the nut on well another person held the threaded bit. Will the silcone around the bulkhead damage the seals ? Has you can see from the pic i have a black rubber seal and then a plastic seal. I have put the 2 bulkheads in with the nut on the inside and there is a little drip ( not much ) so i sicloned around the bulkhead to try and stop the drip. But i have been looking around google and have read that the silcone will buy the rubber seal...

You might get away with it, if the silicone melts the seal into the crack nicely. Options are to break it out and start again or to cross your fingers and keep an eye on it.

Most reactions

Back