Bulb Recommendation

RickT

Reaction score
Hi all
I am looking to change the old bulbs in my tank (straightforward swap - no upgrade). Plants are doing fine, but the bulbs are quite old now and so I need to think about changing. Currently have two Philips PL-L Compact Fluorescent 55W # 865 6500K Daylight Link and was thinking of changing to ASL Compact T5 Fluorescent Tubes (freshwater Plant 55w: Pink 8000k + Blue 12000k) Link. Does anyone here use the ASL bulbs? Are they any good or are there other compact T5 bulbs that are better for a planted tank (with CO2, EI dosing etc...). Would appreciate any advice etc
Thanks
Rick

Yeh as Fred said, get the interpet tubes, the daylight plus gets excellent reviews.

Sam

I would personally go with 2 x daylight plus myself. I had an Orig Tropical 18W in the front with a daylight plus 55W in the back and even though the 55W is 3 x more powerful the fornt of the tank was still pink.

Andy

Thanks...I'll probably go with two daylight plus bulbs. Thanks for the link Sam - those are far cheaper than from elsewhere.
Cheers
Rick

I run the ASL tubes and find them quite good, I use the freshwater tropical, which is a mix of 8000k and 7100k, although I see these are not in stock atm for 55w, the 8000k freshwater colour on its own will give a very pink hue to the light.

I have always found while the Interpet daylight gives a very bright white light which is pleasing to the eye it also renders plants very green, you will struggle to achieve good reds with this tube unless the plant is already red to begin with. IMO you are better off with a mix of tubes.

I have always found while the Interpet daylight gives a very bright white light which is pleasing to the eye it also renders plants very green, you will struggle to achieve good reds with this tube unless the plant is already red to begin with. IMO you are better off with a mix of tubes.

I agree :)

Well with 18W Arcadia Freshwater and 55W interpet daylight plus, the Ludwigia Repens is pink whenever I let it get in view of the lights and the Hygrophylia Poly's leaves are all pink underneath and the Rosanervigs has pink veins and the Val Leopard is going red at the tips (when they float in the light)blah blah. Not overly red but pinkish bits here and there

Most reactions

Back