Bugs in fish food

Many pets

Reaction score
Has anyone had bugs/flies in their fish food? I bought a bucket of tetra min fish food several months ago. Have been using it with no problems. Opened it last night and it is full of little winged bugs. Is it safe to feed my fish? Have had fish for years, never had this problem. TIA

gut loaded bugs... can you feed the bugs to the fish???

if the fish will eat them... some of the better feeds available have bug larvae in them, & quite a few fish eat bugs in the wild

While I'm all for feeding live insects to fish, in this case, I wouldn't. Fish food contains a lot of oils that can go rancid if the food is old and stored improperly, and if there are bugs in it, then it's likely rancid. So no, I wouldn't feed it to the fish.

Fish food keeps for a long time, but anything older than three months I'd dispose of. I feed a variety of foods, but dried staple foods I'll have 3-4 small tubs in the rotation, along with feeding live and frozen, so even with 4 tanks I wouldn't get a huge tub of food since most of it is likely to wind up wasted.

So yes, sorry, sounds like the food is off, so I wouldn't risk it with the fish.

Most reactions

Back