Bubbles

SoCalMom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Whenever I do a water change I always get those stupid bubbles on the plants and sides of the tank

What the heck can I use to get them off??

I don't want to stick my whole dang arm in the tank, so I've been using the side of the net lol. It takes forever to get all the bubbles off

they should disapear after a while like liz said.You could always use the handle of the net to wipe them off.

They are nitrogen gas bubbles (nitrogen supersaturation)... from freshly poured water. You can avoid them by letting the water sit for a few hours before putting it in the tank. Stirring the water helps before adding it too... but letting it sit is best. You can also use an unused/never seen soap turkey baster to blast them away (fill the turkey baster with the tank water - and squeeze at the bubbles.) That'll help - but best to do it without the fish in the tank... as the bubbles dissipate - it creates pressure in the water... constant exposure to this gas can cause gas bubble disease or even dropsy. It's not totally harmful... and if there's just a few of these bubbles in the water... I wouldn't worry too much... but if there's LOTS - best to let it sit for a while first before putting your fish in the water.

They are nitrogen gas bubbles (nitrogen supersaturation)... from freshly poured water. You can avoid them by letting the water sit for a few hours before putting it in the tank. Stirring the water helps before adding it too... but letting it sit is best. You can also use an unused/never seen soap turkey baster to blast them away (fill the turkey baster with the tank water - and squeeze at the bubbles.) That'll help - but best to do it without the fish in the tank... as the bubbles dissipate - it creates pressure in the water... constant exposure to this gas can cause gas bubble disease or even dropsy. It's not totally harmful... and if there's just a few of these bubbles in the water... I wouldn't worry too much... but if there's LOTS - best to let it sit for a while first before putting your fish in the water.

Cool, thanks

I knew what they were from, just didn't know the easiest way to get rid of them lol

I wipe them all away with the net before putting Alfie in. I'll get a new turkey baster. Seems easier than the net lol

I get those all the time in my betta tanks. If I don't wipe them away they will be there until the next water change. And I feel bad because you can barely even see the little guys cuz there's bubbles all over the sides.

I only have gravel in one of my tanks. But the bubbles cover all the sides and the bottom of the tanks. I hate it.

Hi,

I dont know if this is relevant or not but I have got these bubbles in the past when I have done a water change and the water being replaced is at a much differerent temperature to the water already in the tank. Hope this helps.

Richard

rfisher, I don't think that applies in my case, as I do 100% water changes for my bettas. And it doesn't happen on my main tank. I have had someone tell me that was the reason for mine before.

Maybe that's Socal's reason?

rfisher, I don't think that applies in my case, as I do 100% water changes for my bettas. And it doesn't happen on my main tank. I have had someone tell me that was the reason for mine before.

Maybe that's Socal's reason?

Maybe? I always make sure the the water sits until it's back to 80 degrees. That usually takes about an hour. When I get the water going, I put some in a cup and make sure it's about 77 so that way the heater can even it out :good:

Oh...and I don't put Alfie in until it's at the right temp lol

Most reactions

Back