Bubbles on the surface?

kevy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In my 20 gallon I have an airstone and all the bubbles lay on the surface. When I feed the fish (sword tails and mollies) they seem to have a problem telling the difference between food and bubbles. After seeing this I just put one of those hanging plants in the corner where the airstone was, so the plant keeps most of the bubbles together.

Have you had this problem? Did your fish start to see a difference between their food and bubbles?

Another quick thing, is there such a thing as too much 02 in the water? Airstones just create surface currents which allow 02 to dissolve right? Becuase I have a LOT of surface currents in my 55 gallon but not as much under the surface.

During feeding time I found its best to unhook the airstone and turn the filter down. This way the food isnt flying all over the tank and the fish arent gulping any un-needed air.

To answer your second question.... the airstone cannot introduce excess O2 as water has a certain absorption capacity for O2. Any excess O2 will escape.

If you have a heavily planted tank then high concentrations of O2 do not help the plants which require CO2.

Hope this helps. :D

>>> bubbles lay on the surface.

Do the bubbles hang around on the surface long? They shouldn't really, would indicate there is either some protein, alginate or something in there. In reef tanks where that is a common problem, a "protein skimmer" is a frequent accessory, but that should not be necessary in a f/w aquarium.

Lateral Line said:
>>> bubbles lay on the surface.

Do the bubbles hang around on the surface long? They shouldn't really, would indicate there is either some protein, alginate or something in there. In reef tanks where that is a common problem, a "protein skimmer" is a frequent accessory, but that should not be necessary in a f/w aquarium.
FWIW, apparently some frozen food can contain oils that float on the surface. The treatment is some kitchen paper towel floated on the surface. Melafix does the same, IME.

If there is a film on the surface and your aeration is not breaking it up, AA is correct, you should remove it. It can impede O2 diffusion.

Ironically I have just used air bubbles from the venturi tube attached to my filter outlet to successfully break up a slight film on the waters surface. Normally I do not have the bubbles running as I want a more 'natural' looking tank. Well, one that looks more like a small, slow current creek/pond. Not that my fish are from the same area at all!
Details, details.... :crazy:

WK

Well, there isn't any film on the surface, there are just always bubbles being carried around the tank by the currents. It does seem like they are taking a long time to pop though. How do I figure out if its protein or alginate or what ever else it could be, then how do I fix it?

If it's a few bubbles being carried around for a short time, then don't worry about it. It is more if they are there for a while, or worse, form a scum/froth. Don't think you've got anything to worry about if they pop quickly.

When I first got my tank I had awhole bunch of bubbles all over my tank so i added in one of those long airstones and they went away.

Do you have any filtration at all or just an airstone?

I haven't seen any notice of any filtration at all here.

I'll have to say that I'm going in the direction that Lateral Line was thinking and Alien Anna's idea is also another solution.

Most reactions

Back