Bubble Nests

rcBetta

Reaction score
All 4 of my bettas make this interesting pile of bubbles on the surface of the water. I heard somewhere it means they're longing for a woman or rather, they are preparing a nest to attract a female. I believe what happens is the male betta makes a nest of bubbles and the female does her thing in the nest, then the young are living withing the bubbles while the male stands watch. Is this true? Any opinions?

Hello, male bettas do make bubble nests when they want to get jiggy or if they are happy and want to show it. When introducing afemale (after proper conditioning) they will wrap around each other and the male will plant the eggs produced by the female into the bubblenest and also the freshly hatched fry to keep them safe and oxygenated. There are many excellent pinned threads on this topic whichI would recommend reading. Please note you do not need to do anything such as introduce females or feel the need to breed, the males are perfectly fine. It is an interesting phenomena and pleasing to see. :)

I have thought about adding a female into the mix, but then suddenly, I found myself with 4 males. Haha. So I have to stop the numbers at 4. But that's cool.

Most reactions

Back