Brownish Algal/fungal/bacterial Growth On Sand

mangoed

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently moved house and, with the opportunity provided by the necessities of transportation, decided to change from a gravel to a sand substrate in my tropical, freshwater tank. Despite extensive daily attention, I never managed to overcome the proliferation of algae in my previous setup.

The new substrate is sharp sand covering a heating belt, 60lbs of Eco Complete and 20lbs of CaribSea White Marine Sand. There are currently no plants in the aquarium but I wanted to keep my options open for the future.

After about a week, the sand is turning brown due to a algal/bacterial/fungal infestation of some kind (see photo). I wonder if anyone is able to assist in diagnosing the problem and crucially what can be done to alleviate it. The same 'growth' is also appearing on the rocks and returns rapidly after cleaning.

Thanks.

-dan

tank.jpg

Looks like brown algae. It's common in newly set up tanks and will usually go away on its own, since silicates leach out of the seals for a while. It's easy to wipe off of rock and glass, but grows back pretty quick, and I don't know how to go about getting it off sand.

Otos love the stuff - they had it gone from my tank overnight.

Most reactions

Back