Brown Water

doraemon213

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So many problems in my one month old tank :(

Ok, so this time my tank's water has turned really brown, even the filter cartridge itself is now solid brown color.

The levels in my tank are
size: 10 gallon
pH: 7.6
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5.0
temperature: 80F

Because of the high ammonia levels before, a lot of my fish has died and now only 2 fish left, with 2 live plants.

So, a few questions -- What's the possible cause for the brown water? How should I fix it? Also, now that the filter has turned brown, should I change it? And if so, can it wait for a few more days until my online order arrives?

Thank you in advance again everyone!

Do you have wood in the tank?

The driftwood is likely leaking tannins which is turning the water brown, carbon and lots of water changes should remove this if you don't like the look of it. However, if you don't mind the look of it then its pretty much harmless and some fish like the tannins. Only thing if you were to keep it would be to watch the pH as the tannins can sometimes effect it.

Yup.  A 10 gallon tank isn't very big for the volume to dissipate the tannins.  So, it makes the effect that much more noticeable.  It is harmless, but can affect your pH - slightly.

I like the look, and if you have South American fish, they actually will thrive in it.

Thanks guys (or girls)! So if I don't like the look, you mentioned carbon and water change would help. What exactly would adding carbon mean (Sorry I am a newbie here)? Would my aqueon filter cartridge provide it? Also, how often and how much should I do water change?

I heard boiling the wood would help taking the tannins out, would that help?

Yes, those filter cartridges look to contain carbon so they should help remove it, you may need several though as with all of the tannins the carbon and filter floss will quickly become worn out.

You could do 50% water changes everyday which would quickly remove/reduce the brown water, however, if you soak the wood then that won't be needed.

Please don't boil the wood, it breaks down all the wood fibres, it is better to pour boiling/hot water over the wood and then soak it for awhile, changing the water every 12 or so hours until the tannins stop being released.

I'm always sad when someone wants to remove the tannins. :no:  You are well within your rights though to remove it... I just wish more people liked it like I do. :sad:

If you can't get along with the brown appearance your water has taken remove the wood, do large water changes, in the meantime soak your piece of wood in really hot or even boiling water over several days (up to two weeks would be advisable) this will get a lot of the tannins out very quickly and so reduce the effect of tinting the water when it's re-introduced 

Most reactions

Back