Brown Algae Problem

SLIM

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I seem to have a serious brown algae problem.
Its spreading very fast and its out of control.
I did my weekly water change yesterday so I took the oppotunity to vac the gravel and strub all the rocks to get rid of the brown algae.

Today however it seems to be back already.

The problem seemed to start when I added afew live plants and plant ferts to the aqaurium a week ago.

The tank is fairly new and has only been running for about 6-7 weeks

Can anybody please advise me how to get rid of it or keep it under control?

A brown algae eating fish maybe? Or is there a better way?

I have a 260L with 6 angels 2 pearl gouramis and 5 corys

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
And nitrate is only about 20
PH is around 7.6

Thanx

Brown algae (diatoms) is common in newly set up aquariums. Its caused by trace amounts of ammonia in the water. Theoretically it should disappear as the tank matures.

when I had it I added more live plants, it worked in all my tanks but one, so I invested in a nerite snail. I don't agree with buying something to help clean, but I wanted a nerite anyway. Nerite snails are fussy eaters though.

Hmmmmmm im not really a big fan of snails to be honest.
I dont really want them laying eggs and eating plants.

Is there no other way of handling it until it goes on its own?

I was thinkin about getting some Loaches for my community.

Do any Loaches feed on brown algae?

a school of otocinclus catfish. They are small and like the stuff, but can starve if there is not enough of it too so you need to be careful.

a school of otocinclus catfish. They are small and like the stuff, but can starve if there is not enough of it too so you need to be careful.
I assume they wud eat catfish pellets too tho. I wudnt jus leave them just too feed on the brown algae alone. Hmmm otocinclus catfish shoppin it is then lol I bet no where round here sells them

I also want dwarf neon rainbowfish and am having a nightmare trying to find them.

The brown algae is now starting to grow on my plants leafs.
Will it kill my plants by blocking out light?
I really need a quick solution to get this brown algae under control.
Cleaning it off, gravel hoovering and water changes seem to have no effect as its back the next day.
There must be something I can do?

apart from patience and good water changes there`s not a lot you can do really. Give the plant leaves a bit of a rub just before you do your water change it will help, also doing a couple of water changes a week may help too. It`s frustrating and unsightly but it will clear up eventually :good:

Most reactions

Back