Brown Algae Issues..

aconnoll

Reaction score
Ok here goes, apologies for the length of this post... :blush:

My girlfriend got a Siamese fighter for Xmas in '05 and we had it in a small bowl and did regular water changes. It was great for a while until winter came where I noticed him suffering from the cold. This then opened a can of worms when I did some research and discovered how terrible we had been treating the little fella hehe. Long story short we found an old 9 gallon at my gf's parent's house and proceeded to set that up for him (set this up around June '06). I used the gravel that was in it from when it was used many many years ago and just had some fake plants and some other ornaments in there. The Siamese Fighter died around Oct '06 and all I had left in there was a neon, a glowlight and a cory. The cory died around end of Nov '06.

At the start of Jan '07 I wanted to learn more about keeping tropical fish and put some real plants in - revamp the tank a bit. I got some lighting (2 x 15 watt globes one around 6800K and the other higher I think), an external hang on filter w/ 3 stage filtering, an air pump & stone and some bog wood. I learnt about ammonia/nitrate/nitrite/ph etc.. but at this stage haven't had the budget to get all these kits just yet. At the start of Jan '07 I started getting more neons and glowlights slowly each week until ive reached what I have now (which is 5 neons, and 4 glowlights). Im stopping at this amount of fish as I followed the 1" to 1 gallon rule.

For the month of January things were going really well and the plants were growing great. I had about 3 bunches of Ambulia (like 4 or 5 stalks each), vallis and some other type of plant im not sure of. The ambulia and vallis were growing great and very fast and things were looking good. I was doing weekly 25% water changes w/ gravel vac, water was nice and clear with some tannins. All the fish had (and still have) very erect fins, are very active and have a very healthy appetite (feed them frozen bloodworm, shelled pea, bread crumb, etc and have a fast day per week).

At the start of Feb I noticed that there seemed to be a decent amount of brown algae (diatoms) building up, mostly on the plant I didn't know what species it was but the majority was just on the bogwood. The other plants weren't affected (or didn't show any sign of diatoms on them). I also noticed small hard bright green spots on a small section of the glass which ive learnt is also diatoms. From what I can gather, this is due to excessive phosphates or excess silica (silic acid - or what ever its called) and high nitrates? Is this true?

Since the start of Feb ive been doing 25 percent water changes prob every 3-4 days gravel vacc'ing everywhere I can without disturbing plants and also scrubbing the bogwood with a brand new toothbrush with the gravel vac over the brush (to try and get as much of the diatoms out of the tank), as well as the usual wipe down of the glass. Ive tried to cut back how much food I give the fish and have one or two fast days a week. The lighting period is 5 on 2 off 5 on. The ambulia has stopped growing in height and has gone yellow and slightly red on the top section (which I believe is normal), since then I have chopped the tops off them and replanted the tops to try and encourage more growth and more plants to absorb the nutrients over the diatoms. It seems at the moment im in a constant battle trying to get rid of as much diatoms each water change as I can and scrub it off the plants and bog wood each time. I know that if I wasn't as rigorous in removing it, it would surely grow out of control.. Is this normal? Around 30 percent of my gravel has plants in it - I cant really put much more in there as im running out of space, I also have added a clump or two of java moss. The fish seem very healthy and fine.. I use tap water (obv treated for chlorine/chloramine) for my water changes and dont have access to rain water or RO water. I let the new water sit in a bucket for 24hrs before hand with an air stone in there. Does anyone have any ideas... I dont dose liquid ferts and have treated the fish with melafix on occasion when adding new fish (as per instructions). Let me know if anyone wants anymore information.

Cheers,
Adam

(2 x 15 watt globes one around 6800K and the other higher I think),

Define "globes"? Is that their shape? Are they incadecent, fluorescent, compact fluorescent, metal halide, halogen? What type of bulb are they? It makes a bit of difference.

Diatoms and the green spot algae you are speaking of are often found in new setups, which yours is. I don't want to recommend any course of action until I'm precisely sure about your type of lighting.

llj :)

Ok, sorry they are 18 inch fluorescent tubes bought brand new in Jan.. bought from my LFS that said they are for growing plants.. cant remember the exact name of them. They are in a reflective case with a clear Perspex cover. Until I get home (as im at work atm - I live in Perth Western Australia) I dont think I can tell you anymore.

Ok, sorry they are 18 inch fluorescent tubes bought brand new in Jan.. bought from my LFS that said they are for growing plants.. cant remember the exact name of them. They are in a reflective case with a clear Perspex cover. Until I get home (as im at work atm - I live in Perth Western Australia) I dont think I can tell you anymore.

You scared me a bit when you said "globes". 30W over 9g is kind of cuspish, it's like a moderate lighting level. It's hard to gage with nanos, lighting levels work a bit differently. How densly planted is your tank? How much of the substrate is covered? I have tanks where nearly 100% of the substrate is covered. Algae comes when it can outcompete plants for nutrients and light, but plants are much better at utilizing these things to grow. The key is tipping the scale towards the plants. That keeps algae at bay. I try to densely plant from the beginning, regardless of lighting level, with fast-growing weeds first. Then, when the tank is stablilized, at about 3-6 months, I switch out to the plants and layout I actually want.

Don't worry about the long post, you've quite a bit of writing to do if you're even going to come close to topping some of the longest posts in this section. :lol:

Hahah cheers.. yeah the trouble is I have a large hunk of bogwood in there that takes up a decent amount of space.. I feel that I have covered most of what I can I gravel wise. I guess I could densly plant a bit more in there but I was worried about not being able to gravel vac the turds off the bottom really well. I will try and cut more ambulia off and replant again to try and increase the plant numbers, it still seems to grow fairly quickly but prob like you said I need more (and more!).

Thanks for your help.. on another note im in the process or will be soon of setting up two more 2 foot tanks that were given to me. Id like to eventually down the line re-house the glowlights into the new tank and perhaps put something in my existing 9 gallon with the 5 neons something that will eat algae/diatoms.. what would you recommend for such a small tank?

Get a few otocinclus and your diatoms will be eaten in no time.

Otoclinus would be my suggestion too, and perhaps 2-3 more neons to give a better shoal. It seems like a lot, but neon tetras and otoclinus really don't produce much waste.

llj :)

I seriously think having 3 more neons and a couple of otoclinus would be pushing it. I might just got the otos. My neons at the moment hardly shoal and fight a fair bit for territory. I move plants around every now and then but because im getting so many plants now I cant really move them anywhere. Cheers for your help guys.. will let you know how I get on.

Most reactions

Back