Breeding Trap

rEvolution27

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My swordtail looks like she's ready to pop.... it's been about 30 days and i'm sure she's gonna have them anytime now.... should put it in a breeder trap? i don't want to stress her but i want the babies :S
I didn't want to put this in livebearers cuz i wanted a fast answer.. :/

sure go for it

that is something i don't want to do again... it took me like 10 mins to catch her cuz she's so damn fast, when i put her in she was going crazy in there, now she's settled down but is breathing fast.

While all the fish ignore the trap, here loving husband is desperately trying to ger her out (lol until he forget's about her and moves on)

I'll give her a few flakes and turn off the light

she will calm down eventually.when she does give em up take her out as she may make a meal out of a few

Ugh I hate those breeder tanks. Last november 2004 my platy had about 50 kids. I put them all in a breeder and they got harrased by all the other fish in the tank. So a few weeks later she got pregnant again and I put the kids in a 2.2 G Aquatic Garden Aqurium with a sponge. Thy grew up nice.

Breeder traps aren't the best idea, especially for larger fish like Swordtails. As you said, the process of chasing her around the tank then plopping her in a small compartment isn't very good for her when she's very pregnant. That part is stressful. If you're serious about fry, look into getting a small fry tank. Those are much less stressful for the mother fish, and easier to grow the fry up in. :)

yup thats right breeder boxes stress my guppies out so i just take the babys i can find after she has her babys and put them in the breeder box though hopefully if parents allow i hope to get a 30 gallon high move all my fish into there then make my 29 gallon a fry tank but if you are going to move her into a fry trap do it at least a week before so she doesnt get stressed out as much just my two cents

breeder tanks in general cause the fish more stress then anything, which greatly increases the odds of premature births and death of the parents. when you notice your females are getting bigger it is best to but them in there own heavily planted tanks. otherwise she will eat the fry.

Most reactions

Back