Breeding The Little Guys

vile

Reaction score
So i have many tanks like 125 and 2 55gallon tanks etc and a lot of my little africans breed like crazy well i have a lot of their young that have grown up i mean heck i have 23 different african cichlids in my room :D so basically i could have a species tank of each and every one of them but to get to the point.....

I want to set aside the young that have grown up and breed them cause i have found a reliable store that usually takes them :nod: so i wanted to know if a ten gallon tank would be appropiate for them??? I know it would probaly work for saulosi and demasoni sense they stay small but what about the big guys that get almost six inches?? I plan on having 1 male and two females and whe nthe females are hold and have been with the males a couple days id remove him allowing the 10 gallon tank to the females? So for the bigger guys should i use a 20 or 30 or what do you think

:/ also how do females react to each other holding? What about when they release their fry? Do they help each other out or harm each other??? thanks

for breeding purposes i wouldn't go smaller that a 40 breeder. As you know some males get overly aggressive towards the females and they need a place to retreat from him and a 10 gallon tank will give her that leisure. For the saulsi and demasoni you can always put a divider in the tank and that way you only need 1 filter. just a thought of how i would approch it.

thanks for the advice soooo when you say 40 breeder tank you mean 40 gallons for the bigger guys right??? and then dividing the ten gallon for each tank like a saulosi tank and then another tank divided for demasoni. I believe you dont mean dividing the ten gallon with saulosi on one side then demasoni in the other correct? Its more getting the male away from the female so she wont stress.

I didnt know about putting a male and a couple of females in a small tank would make the male more aggressive thanks for the info :good:

Most reactions

Back