Breeding Sword Tails

pingaling

Reaction score
Hello, I got two sword tails about a week ago and was wanting them to breed. The female is a bit bigger than the male and was wondering whether that would a problem. Also what sign would a female have if it was going to have babies.
Thanks, looking forward to your answers

Hi,

Firstly, what size tank do you have and how long has it been running?

Secondly, Swordtails are prolific breeders and you should have at least 2 or 3 females for each male otherwise a single female will get very harassed. Do please be aware that you are likely to end up with lots and lots of fry so your tank needs to be a decent size to be able to cope with that :)

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting them to breed, just ensure that you have a few more females than males.

You should also be responsible and ensure that you have the means of rehoming them either at the LFS or people to purchase them from you as you will soon be over run with them.

Actually i have a tiny tank 22L and it's been running for for about a week and half now. I also bought another female sword tale yesterday.

They're huge mate for something that looks pretty small when you go to buy them.

Females get bigger, probably 5.5 - 6 inches and the males around 4.5 - 5 inches excluding the sword.

You really need to look at either rehoming the swordtails you have or buying a bigger tank if you intend to keep them :/

That tank that is have is good for the fry, but not for older swortails if ur seriously looking into breeding u need a bigger tank.

The first IS into YOU. sorry

I should also have said previously that you are now in what's called a 'fish-in cycle' which isn't great for your fish :/

Please have a read of the information at the following link on cycling your tank, at least then you'll have an idea of how best to do things with a new tank :)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

Most reactions

Back