Breeding S Mulitunctatus

mgkot1

Reaction score
I have atttempted to try and breed my Multipunctatus using the petricola method on this forum.

No success yet but has anybody spawned S Multi using any other method than cuckooing?

Thank you in advance

Michiel

They need a host fish to pick up and incubate the eggs. They also need the hormones released by the other fish to induce spawning.

I have heard of people using a PVC tube with netting on the bottom. The eggs are put in the tube and sit on the netting. An airstone is placed a couple of inches above the eggs in the tube and draws water up through it. This upwards moving current lifts the eggs up and a bit and keeps them circulating in the water.
*NB* The air bubbles must not come in contact with the eggs.

They need a host fish to pick up and incubate the eggs. They also need the hormones released by the other fish to induce spawning.

I have heard of people using a PVC tube with netting on the bottom. The eggs are put in the tube and sit on the netting. An airstone is placed a couple of inches above the eggs in the tube and draws water up through it. This upwards moving current lifts the eggs up and a bit and keeps them circulating in the water.
*NB* The air bubbles must not come in contact with the eggs.

Hi Colin

I have been breeding mine cuckoo but thought and alternative might be available. I am currently trialing the pot with marbles and an uplift airdriven PVC tube dropping in a strainer.

In the method you stated, do you mean once harvested off a host fish that you then egg tumble them? Or do you harvest the eggs and sperm for the cats themselves?

I also could not find any info in Nyassae breedign as I have about 8 adults.

Thank you once again

Michiel

You take the eggs from the mouth of the female cichlid after the catfish & cichlids have finished spawning and everyone is back to normal.

not sure what you mean by nyassae breeding?
If you are talking about peacock cichlids, (Aulonocara sp) they are easy to breed. The males are colourful and the females are grey-silver. The males display to the female and she lays a few eggs before picking them up. He fertilises them when she tries to pick the egg spots on his anal fin. They continue doing this a few eggs at a time until she has a mouthful.

If you mean Synodontis nyassae, they aren't often bred in aquariums. Synodontis are all egg scatterers, and only a few species have been successfully spawned in aquariums w/out hormone injections. Aside from getting adults properly conditioned, preventing them from eating the eggs seems to be the main difficulty. African rift lake species aeem to be easier to work with than the others, though aside from the multi's, lucipinnis, and petricola, I've only heard of one person successfully spawning S. granulosus.
You may find keeping mollies or other livebearers with the multi's helpful in encouraging them to spawn. The hormones from the livebearers should be as effective as the ones from cichlids. The multi's have been known to scatter eggs w/out hosts, but none were saved/hatched afterward.

Most reactions

Back