Breeding My Rams.

slakey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok well I have a pair of Rams in my 125L tank at the minute and they've laid eggs 3-4 times since I got them but no luck with fry :/

So I have 2 empty tanks that I can use.

Either this one:
IMAG0157.jpg

It's 39L so 9gallons.

Or I have a empty 2ft x 1ft x 1ft tank but it has hood that doesn't fit correctly and is missing a light and flap part :/

Which one should I use?

To raise the fry you want a tank that is easy to clean, easy to do frequent water changes (several small ones daily is best) and that can house a sponge filter. The fry tend to be very fragile for the first weeks so they can be killed by most filters, even if you screen the intake.
Do you know why your rams don't have fry yet? Are either of the parents eating them or are other fish cleaning up before they have the chance to hatch?

Soften up the water by putting peat moss in your filter. What is your pH at? Fry will not survive in high pH levels.

My pH is 7.6

and the eggs seem to be there before I turn the lights out, but when I turn them back on in the morning... they're gone :(

The other fish that we're in the tank at the time we're corydoras, guppies, zebra danios.

Hello there,

I am also looking to try and breed some rams; although I don't have the money to get my tank the way I'd like it right now. But anyways, here is a website that I plan on using once I have my tank set up and I get my rams to spawn. It looks like a great idea and seems like the author knows what she is talking about. Hope this helps.

Breeding Rams

Thanks for all the info, I think I may be trying to do too many things at once...

I.e setting up a new tank, trying to breed my Rams.

Who is the main suspect for my eggs disappearing in the night? Corydoras? Guppies? BN Pleco? Zebra Danios? The Rams *parents*?

Should I try to make the tank they're in now breed friendly or just forget about it for the time being and concentrate on the new big tank?

Could be any of them that are eating the eggs including the parents. Young rams will take a few times of egg laying before they get things right - they will also eat them if they are not fertile. If the eggs are fertile they will turn a yellowy colour - if they stay white they are infertile.

You could try leaving the light on as it may be that the eggs are being eaten in the dark when the parents cant spot the other fish to chase them off.

Most reactions

Back