Breeding Macrobrachium - Long Arm Shrimps

apj

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi does anyone breed Macrobrachium shrimps,And what breed.I would like some advice please,
Anne

Sorry I have no idea how to breed them but you could try contacting the department of fisheries or universities and technical colleges (TAFE) in the Northern Territory & Queensland in Australia. I'm sure they are farming them up there somewhere.
They should breed like most other shrimp/ prawns and simply carry batches of eggs around before scattering them into the water to become plankton. They live in fresh water all year round so if you manage to keep them until maturity and have lots of plants in the tank you might get some young survive.

To breed most machrobrachium species shrimp you just need to make them happy, with good water quality and no fish to eat any offspring. Also the males can be quite agreesive and territorial, so give them plenty of caves and the like for them to establish nice little territories. In time they will breed. It is important however that their aquarium is quite mature, and that filtration is not too harsh, as the young have an abbreviated larval stage of about 4 days (freshwater) before metamorphosing into shrimplets. As such they require plenty of tiny food stuffs in the water column in order to feed, hence the need for a mature set up which tends to have these as standard.

Ade

To breed most machrobrachium species shrimp you just need to make them happy, with good water quality and no fish to eat any offspring. Also the males can be quite agreesive and territorial, so give them plenty of caves and the like for them to establish nice little territories. In time they will breed. It is important however that their aquarium is quite mature, and that filtration is not too harsh, as the young have an abbreviated larval stage of about 4 days (freshwater) before metamorphosing into shrimplets. As such they require plenty of tiny food stuffs in the water column in order to feed, hence the need for a mature set up which tends to have these as standard.

Ade

Thanks Ade

Most reactions

Back