Breeding Glass Cats

smithy05

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how i can breed glass catfish?? or if their any links to sites with info??? as im keen to have a go as i quite like them and when i get my new tank the old one will b spare and so i can use to breed different fish but first i want cats. cheers peeps

Hi glass cats :)

I agree with what dwarfgourami said. I've never heard of them being bred either. :no:

oh cos of the 3 i have 1 the smaller ones just behind where the backside is it looks likes a small clump of bubbles in its body not on the outside as far as i can tell werent sure if these were eggs or just an empty belly?????

Hi glass cats :)

It is too bad about them. They are wonderful fish to keep and if I ever see them in the lfs, I will probably get some more of them.

If you think they have empty bellys, you might be right. I found them a little shy and sometimes afraid to venture out of the plants to get their share of the food. I had to make sure that some fell right in front of their faces for them to eat.

I thought it was interesting to see how their tummies turned red when I fed them worms. :D

I have seen signs of a pregnant female in my group of glass cats. She will become fat for a couple of days, then she is back to normal, i presume she has released the eggs and they are eaten. I have seen her like this on 2 occasions now. I have been considering moving the glass cats out into a tank on their own to see if i can get spawning.

Ben

I have seen signs of a pregnant female in my group of glass cats. She will become fat for a couple of days, then she is back to normal, i presume she has released the eggs and they are eaten. I have seen her like this on 2 occasions now. I have been considering moving the glass cats out into a tank on their own to see if i can get spawning.

Ben

Oh, do, do! I want to hear about this. If ever I get a bigger tank, glass cats are one thing I would really like to keep. It would be fascinating if you could really get them to spawn.

Dont worry, if i get round to doing it i will extensively document it.

I didnt do anything to trigger spawning other than a water change. The female appeared to be full of eggs for less than 48hours then obviously released them at night where they were eaten. The tank is very mature and it is filtered by 2 large internal filters.

Ben

Glass cats can be shy, I found a good way to feed mine. I turn off half of the lights in my 55gal(US) and they come right to the surface. They share a tank with dwarf gourami's, congo tetras and some plecos. They are usually the forst to "attack" the chunks of dried tube flex worms I feed them.

Most reactions

Back