Breeding Corys

PerryClem0842

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As I am getting rid of my Mudskippers, I would like to have a step by step process by my side when having a go at this, any information would be really appreciated as I obviously am a complete novice when it comes to breeding any fish that aren't guppies. Thanks Perry :)

is the Mudskipper interesting? always hiding in the mud? and like jumping? As for me, everyting is amazing~~

:hyper:

Starting out with corys I would go for the hardier and easist to breed Peppered Corys. Buy a group rather than trying to accurately sex young/ small males and females. When they are old enough/ large enough to breed you can condition them with extra treats of bloodworms and the like and then do some large water changes a few days later. The water change and the flux in water temp seems to get them in the mood to spawn. My corys usually spawn with a temp change and or a weather shift eg. rain comming. Right now my corys are going crazy breeding because it looks as though the heat of summer has finally left.

Once they lay the eggs (often on the glass and now you will need a razor blade or old credit card) you can remove the eggs and put them in either a suspended net in the parents tank near the filter return or have them in another tank with similar water to the parents and run an airstone in the water to keep the water circulating around the eggs.

Once hatched the fry wont need food for a day or two but then start feeding them on either super fine ground up flake food or liquid fry.

Oh and make sure you remove all traces of salt from your tank if your using your mud skipper tank for corys, salt and corys don't mix.

Most reactions

Back