Breeding Bettas

Neomeris

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to breed betas. I was told or this I would need a pond. Could somebody with beta experience tell me:
1) Do I REALLY need a pond
2) What conditions do I need/what food should I condition on
3) How Betta genetics work
4) How many betta I will need, I heard you need a lot.

Neomeris

Hi,

My best advice before breeding these fish is to research as much as possible on many different sites. To get you started here is a ling to a page on my site that explains how I do it -> My link

As for genetics, I wrote a short(ish) blog on it trying to keep it a simple as possible here is a link to that too ->My link

If after you still have questions then please ask.

As for conditioning food, a good betta pellet like Attisons betta pro and frozen/live foods like bloodworm etc. You only need 2 fish to breed with possibly a back up pair so you can swap and change males to females. Its not a simple process so please don't rush in.

Thank you! I have no questions yet, except for do all betas have hundreds of fry?

hehe i tried breeding bettas, i had a bubble nest, the fish started to mate, but there was no eggs... so i just
stayed with livebearers!! good luck :fish:

If I breed bettas is there anyone in Oregon who will want one?!

If u could Ship one to ca I would love it I breed guppys so we could trade but how to ship?

Before you attempt to breed bettas do you know about the size of the spawning tank, conditioning, genetics, what you are going to do with the fry, how much space you will need, a grow out tank, live foods for newly born fry, when to put the female with the male, and the amount of time it will take you. I just wanted to make sure you knew all of this stuff, because it is a huge struggle to breed Betta fish and raise the fry.... Be prepared for 70+ fry

I want to breed betas because betas a very pretty fish, and I want to learn how to care for many different fish, throughout their lives- from egg to adult. I am not going to attempt to breed betas until I have information: I am not stupid. I read you need a tank around ten gallons to breed betas. I will have to read about mailingg fish out of state, and research how much money it would take to transport a fish in 12 hours.

Okay, sorry to be a bother.. It is just because so many people just stick them in the same tank and then they end up killing eachother

agreed its happening far to often these days :/

Seems like your serious about giving breeding a shot though, the most important thing to do is research, then anything you are unsure on ask away on here :) theres a few of us with spawns currently including myself with my 1st so plenty of help if required :good:

I want to breed betas because betas a very pretty fish, and I want to learn how to care for many different fish, throughout their lives- from egg to adult. I am not going to attempt to breed betas until I have information: I am not stupid. I read you need a tank around ten gallons to breed betas. I will have to read about mailingg fish out of state, and research how much money it would take to transport a fish in 12 hours.

That's awesome. More than the setup itself and technical aspects though, I think it'll be a good idea to also ask people for their emotional and psychological effort--what they went through. A good example is the controversial ethical topic of culling. I've never bred fish but I've reared kittens from when they were born to twelve weeks old. It was hard, for example needing to wake up every couple of hours at night when one of them wouldn't feed from his mom.

When breeding anything you have to reverse engineer it. Where are these fish, kittens, dogs, or whatever you may have going to go once they are old enough to leave? When you are reasonably sure you'll have suitable homes for them, research equipment, time, space, and money it takes. If you can cover that get a knowledge base, experienced breeders of that species who can help you out along with as much as you can absorb concerning the species & breeding/raising process.

Most reactions

Back