Breeding Angels & Eggs

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jackrmee

Reaction score
I have a pair of breeding halfblack angels which were in a tank by themselves, until a friend of mine had a leak in her tank so I adopted some of her fish.
There are 3 Tiger Barbs and 2 Guppies.
They are now all in the tank together. Everything seems fine but I can see there are a lot of small white eggs on a leaf which Mummy Angel is guarding by nipping anything that comes near.
How can I ensure the eggs are ok and if they hatch ok will the other fish eat the fry?
I have another tank but it is not set up yet. Im not sure I will have enough time to get the water to the right state for the fish. Maybe I need one of those nursery pen things to put in the tank?
I am not sure how long the eggs have been there but it's surely no longer than a week.

I also have a piece of slate which when I moved, looks as if there are 3 or 4 small blobs of jelly with lots of little eggs inside. These look different from the eggs the Angel is guarding. I didnt inspect them properly as I didnt want to upset anything.

I would be grateful of any advice as I have never come across this before.

Thanks in advance.
G

are the eggs wriggling or brown i just a few days ago removed some angels eggs from my main tank when they were at the wriggler stage there now free swimming i have them in a 5ltr storage box floating in the main tank just with a small air stone i removed them using a sringe and air tube

No they are not wriggling. They are small and white. Both parents are guarding them and the mother seems to be rubbing her underbelly against them.

So I should wait until they are wriggling and then remove them?

No they are not wriggling. They are small and white. Both parents are guarding them and the mother seems to be rubbing her underbelly against them.

So I should wait until they are wriggling and then remove them?
if there all white there no good they havent been fertilized if they have been there a few days you would be best just to remove them this will get rid of the aggression in the tank

p.s the jelly eggs on the slate are snails eggs

Well, I dont need any more snails :)

Im not sure how long the Angel eggs have been there so I will wait a few days incase they get fertilized.

Thanks so much for your advice.

G

Im not sure how long the Angel eggs have been there so I will wait a few days incase they get fertilized.

G
they should be a clearish brown colour if there a solid white there no good

G

Yes, I can see that most of them are an almost transparent off white with 1 or 2 solid white ones here and there. :hyper:

G

Yes, I can see that most of them are an almost transparent off white with 1 or 2 solid white ones here and there. :hyper:
sounds prommissing keep an eye out for them starting wriggling it looke like there blowing in the current then you can do either what i did and suck them into a syringe or you can leave them they will get eaten though either by the parents or by other tank mates!

these are mine free swimming as of yesterday morning i have them floating in a storage box
[media]
babies002.jpg
[/media]

are the eggs wriggling or brown i just a few days ago removed some angels eggs from my main tank when they were at the wriggler stage there now free swimming i have them in a 5ltr storage box floating in the main tank just with a small air stone i removed them using a sringe and air tube

I will remove them and try to keep them. I have a storage box and a small airstone. How do you get the box to float?
What do I feed them? I have TetraMin baby.

I just noticed the Female "pecking" at the eggs and it seems there are less than yesterday. Maybe she is eating them? :crazy:

The smallest tank I've used for hatching angels is a 2.5 gallon, they need bigger accommodations in a couple of weeks. In a 5 gallon you can leave them be for about 3 weeks tops, a 10 gallon gets you about a month. Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp is the only consistent way to get a decent survival rate, you will need some tank space for growout, 1/2 gallon for dime body size, 1 gallon for nickel body size. A small spawn is 200 eggs, this will give you some idea of what you need as far as equipment.

The parents will pick off the infertile eggs, parent raising in a community tank is very rare, the spawn either gets eaten by the tankmates or the parents.

I will remove them and try to keep them. I have a storage box and a small airstone. How do you get the box to float?
What do I feed them? I have TetraMin baby.

I just noticed the Female "pecking" at the eggs and it seems there are less than yesterday. Maybe she is eating them? :crazy:

its wedged between the support struts i have just been using the liquifry for egg laying fish it seems to be causing micro organizms in the water that the fry are eating once there big enough i will be putting them in my 15 gallon grow on tank

Oh dear, I just woke up, put the light on in the tank and saw a barb eating the eggs. The parents were no longer guarding them and seemed to be resting under the slate. :no:

It looks such a sad situation. It makes me think of Finding Nemo when they only have 1 egg left :sad:

Oh well, maybe I should have taken them out sooner. Never mind, next time I will be better prepared.
How often are they likely to spawn?

Thanks very much for your help though people ;)

Most reactions

Back