Brand new at this

Reaction score
Hello all! You all seem so knowledgable, I'm hoping for a bit of help.
We purchased and filled a 20 gallon aquarium last Wednesday. We added extra carbon in the filter, Stress Coat and Stress Zyme (according to the directions), and aquarium salt. The temperature is at 80 degrees. Naturally, we are anxious to add some fish. Today's readings (Day 5) are as follows:
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: 120
Alkilinity: 80
pH: 7.6 (rose from 6.8 on Day 1)
Ammonia: between 0 and 2.5
The tank become cloudy on Day 3 and is getting better. Are we ready yet? If not, is there something we should be adding?
While I'm at it, what do you think of this list of fish (and which should we add first?) - glass fish (we liked the painted glass fish we saw at a tropical store until we read about how they get that way on here), mollies, neon tetras, fancy guppies, and aquatic frog, snail? pleco?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Tracey
VERY new at this! (20 gallon tank)

I'd stick to danios, livebearers (mollies, swordtails, platies) until the tank is stable. Tetras would be among the last, and I'd hold off on plecos as well until you know you are disease free unless you get a largish one (meds can hurt little ones) .

Have you put any ammonia or ammonia-salt to start cycling progress? It's usually takes 3-6 weeks when the tank is ready to put fishes in.

and aquarium salt
What is this and what purpose?

Hardness: 120 ... Alkilinity: 80

I always forget how to convert ppm to german hardness (GH/KH) :sly:

glass fish (we liked the painted glass fish we saw at a tropical store until we read about how they get that way on here),
Yep, don't buy any unnatural fishes. They suffer and usually die. Glass fish is quite difficult fish. You should keep water temp in 25 C (77 F) when putting them into tank. They get easily ick.

mollies, neon tetras, fancy guppies, and aquatic frog, snail? pleco?

Mollies need basic/hard water. Sometimes even salt if they are raised in salt water. Neontetras need acidic/soft water. Guppies live in basic water too.

There isn't really "aquatic frog". Frogs and fishes are not kept in same tank. Snails you usually get with plants for free :lol: Plecos? It depends what plecos - before biuyng any of them, be sure you know how large it will grow. Some specieses are good for your tank, but many of them grows too big.

mrV, you don't know what aquarium salt is?!? :D

also, platies and mollies do not need salt ... if the store has them
in reg water they'll be fine, and most stores keep them in reg
water. tank-raised fish often never expereince brackish water
and live full lives.

if they start in brackish, though, then they need generally to stay
there.

Thank you for the replies so far.
As for why the aquarium salt - umm... I don't know, because the booklet that came with the tank said to add it - (1T for every 5 gallons).
I did not put any live plants in - I figured I better master the fish thing first.

Hmmm - sounds like our combo of preferred fish need all different environments - I guess we'll have to rethink that group.

Thanks again!

Tracey

Ostrow:
you don't know what aquarium salt is?!?
No, i don't ;) If it's "normal" salt, why put it in fresh water aquarium? It could be some ammonia-salt to start cycling - but probably not. Storekeepers aren't so clever that they give ammonia-salt with or even knows how to cycle tanks B)

if the store has them in reg water they'll be fine, and most stores keep them in reg water.

What about if breeder uses salt - like they use to do in East, in Asia etc.? It is always good to ask from store from where do they have ordered fishes (platy, swordtail, molly, guppy).

Mr V,

Is this what you are looking for?

0 - 4 dH or 0 - 70 ppm = very soft water
4 - 8 dH or 70 - 140 ppm = soft water
8 - 12 dH or 140 - 210 ppm = medium hard water
12 - 18 dH or 210 - 320 ppm = fairly hard water
18 - 30 dH or 320 - 530 ppm = hard water

HTH..... :D

Most reactions

Back