Bottom Feeders

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kramers

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What would be, if any, a compatable bottom feeder for Kenyi's? Cories, otos, plecos(small breeds) snails?

I really need to know the exact same thing! I just experimented with putting a decent sized Chinese algea eater in the tank with kennyis and auratus (9 in total). The cichlids are very small still, around an inch or inch and a half. I couldnt believe it, but the CAE was in there for less than an hour and is already chewed up a bit. I took it out finally when it started jumping and then finally settled into a corner at the top of the tank. Basically it took refuge under the lip of the filter.

I would also like to know what can survive with these fish. If they are that much of a terror when they are this young, I am not sure anything can survive. They were even able to keep my peacock eels out from under the substrate and I had to remove them.

Thanks for asking this question and to add a little bit to it...Is it just all together better to do any tank maintenace by hand (i.e. scraping algea and upping cleanings and water changes in the event of overfeeding or food falling to the substrate) in a tank with these sorts of aggressive cichlids?

Sorry I couldnt help you with the answer, but I am sure someone will know!

i have found that, the best bottom feeder in the world for cichlids is always the same answer

sydnotosis catfish *or however you spell it*

or bristlenose pleco's

Synodontis species and BN Plecs are best suited to African cichlid tanks as they can cope with the specific water parameters required and more importantly, the high aggression levels.

Unfortunately Cories or Otto's wouldn't last 5 minutes with these aggressive fish.

I can't speak for other bottom feeders, but I do know something about corys.

Please don't attempt to keep them with any fish that could either make them feel threatened or actually become aggressive. Corys are pretty much shy, schooling fish that have no way to defend themselves and the stress of being in a tank where they are not comfortable will lower their immune system and eventually result in the decline of their health and an early death.

In addition to this, corys have sharp pectoral fins that, if a bigger fish attempts to swallow them, could come flying up and cause the cory to become stuck in their mouths. I personally know two people who had this happen, once to some kind of cichlid and the other time to an African Clawed Frog.

Our albino bristlenose does just fine with our mbuna tank....he has a little bit of nipping on his dorsal fin right now, but last night we found out that the demasoni was holding fry, released 2, and that could be where his nipping came from...he may have gotten too close to mama! He frequently stays under cover cleaning the rock formations and they really don't seem to bother him at all. Hubby has demasoni, auratus, acei, yellow labs, kenyi, powder blues, bumblebee something or another and a red something or another that is actually orange....sorry, not good with the names of his fish.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to see what I can find here in my area. If anything my lfs should be able to order most anything I need.

I have 3 Pim-Pictus Catfish in my tank, and they have been in there for over a year now. They live perfectly happily with my Malawis.

Julia

Most reactions

Back