Botia Iohachata- Pakistani Loach?

bryce2003

Reaction score
I'm looking for infromation regarding temperament, water conditions etc. for Botia Iohachata or commonly called the Pakistani Loach here in Australia. I'm also after people's personal experiences with them as well. Any information is much appreciated.
Cheers,
Bryce.

YoYo Loach AKA Pakistani Loach - Botia almorhae formerly Botia Lohachata

I have two of these guys, they are great fish.
They will grow to 15.2cm and need to be kept in groups,
not stricly community but they are gregarious. (mine are with other botias, clowns, striata, etc) These fish have a movable spine under each eye, this is razor sharp, so care is needed when netting. The ideal temp range is 74 to 80f. Ideal pH is 7.2 to 7.6 but, as with all fish, a stable pH is better than the ideal one.

see some additional info here

HTH

I've kept them. Most attractive fish. A lot less aggressive then some of the other Botias. Easy to keep, eat pretty much anything. Undemanding with water, will adapt to most tapwater, somewhat sensitiive to Nitrogen pollution, but regular water changes and decent filtration is good enough. They are salt intolerant like all scaleless fish. As with all Botias, they are from well oxygenated water and suffer if the O2 levels drop, particulaly a problem if the temperature gets too high.

They are prone to getting Ich, and being scaleless, troubled by many of the common medications. I don't know what you have available in Aus., but when buying medication, make sure you tell the people you buy from, (assuming they know anything at all!), that it is for treating loaches. And then use half the recommended dose.

Thanks for the info fella's. I had seen the first link this morning but didn't know about the loach forum. Will definately be checking it out.

Hopefully around the end of xmas I will be pulling my tank down and re doing it. Hopefully it'll be finished by the middle of January. My/the missus wish list is as follows:
20 Corydora's (differing varieties), 10 Angels, 10 Banded Kuhli Loaches, 10 Black Kuhli Loaches, 10 Clown Loaches (abnormally marked), 10 Humpheads, 10 Pakistani Loaches, 4 Asian Bumble Bee Catfish, 4 Blue Rams, 4 Bolivian Butterflies, 4 Elephant Noses, 4 Freshwater Dolphins, 4 Gold Rams, 2 BGK's, 1 Sailfin Pleco, 1 Gold Spot Pleco, 1 L018 Gold Nugget Pleco, L014 Sunshine Pleco and possibly 1 Acanthicus Adonis.

The tank is 8ft x 2ft x2 1/2ft and will be heavily planted with a home made background and sand substrate. Should be awesome when I get it finished.

Most reactions

Back