Bolivian Rams

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jmkgreen

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

Any ideas? Pets at Home had no clue. Occassionally lock horns at feeding but 99% of the time they just wonder past each other peacefully.

Cheers,

James

Hi,

Any ideas? Pets at Home had no clue. Occassionally lock horns at feeding but 99% of the time they just wonder past each other peacefully.

Cheers,

James

In the first pic, the one on the right def looks like a male from the swept back and more pointed fins. His red outline on his tail looks a little more prominant too; this may also indicate him being male. Looks like you have a male and a female :good:

EDIT: I know some fish will have males that are psuedo-females.... males that make themselves look like females to avoid conflict from a dominant male. I've never heard of Rams doing this but it might be the case.... but like I said, it looks like you have a male (right) and a female (left)

My bolivian rams are similar to yours - one has longer red bits on his tail than the other and they have differently-shaped fins, but most of the time they leave each other alone except for the occasional confrontation, displaying of fins and going mouth-to-mouth. It's quite hard to tell, I'm just hoping one day I'll find some eggs!

Going by the crowns id think they were both males. It would be nice to see them closer up so you can see the dorsal fins extended fully. From all the Rams ive kept in the past the male has a crown and an extended pointed dorsal fin, the females dont get the crown and have a rounded dorsal fin.

Most reactions

Back