Blue Neon Tetras

swampey

Reaction score
I read somewhere that its best to have a tank running for at less six months before considering getting blue neons

so why is this ?

I am just trying to work out a stock list for my tank

I read somewhere that its best to have a tank running for at less six months before considering getting blue neons

so why is this ?

I am just trying to work out a stock list for my tank
it gives your tank time to mature and it means you can get any initial ammonia spikes out of the way

This is because they are delicate fish and need a totally mature tank to survive. If your tank is not totaly mature with nitrites & ammonia at 0 and nitrates within a normal range then they tend to just keel over and die.

You might like to consider cardinal tetras instead which are very similar. Not only are they more hardy but they are also much more vividly coloured!

This is because they are delicate fish and need a totally mature tank to survive. If your tank is not totaly mature with nitrites & ammonia at 0 and nitrates within a normal range then they tend to just keel over and die.

You might like to consider cardinal tetras instead which are very similar. Not only are they more hardy but they are also much more vividly coloured!
cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras and neon tetras are all as sensitive as each other...they all need mature tanks.

Agree with truck here, I had problems keeping neons when my tank was new, even after cycling and levels of 0 for ammonia and nitrite.

If you want a suitable alternative, look at harlequins or rasboras, both of which are more hardy than most of the tetra family

Andy

There is more to establishing a good environment in a new tank than simply getting the nitrogen cycle under control. With the problems that we have with ammonia, it is the thing that we all measure and pay attention to but it is not all that is happening as your tank becomes more mature. We have a few general rules about "mature tanks" that really mean that we don't understand everything that goes in in our water, but we know that certain fish do not do well when a tank is first established. In most cases, fish that are known to be vulnerable to early deaths in a new tank will do fine when it has matured for about 6 months after it is cycled and has been populated by fish.

I wasnt suggesting that he kept Cardial Tetras in an uncycled tank - just saying that they are more hardy than the neons :huh:

cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras and neon tetras are all as sensitive as each other...they all need mature tanks.

Agreed

Most reactions

Back