Blue Lobster

Jeanne

Reaction score
Hi..I'm not sure if this is the correct area...saw a Blue Lobster at a fish store today and fell in love with it...was wondering if any of you have had any experience with these guys! I have a newish tank...75 gallon with 4 small barbs, two plecos, 2 wood shrimp, 3 black mollies and an iridescent shark. I am trying to put together a nice community tank. I don't think he would catch the barbs...any advice would be appreciated!! What would I feed him...and I also have live plants!

A species tank would probably be better I think, they get quite large (6" or so) and so could either pose a threat to fish and other inverts (shrimp) or become the object of agression from other fish.

For more info check out this site:

Shrimps, Crabs and Crayfish

:)

Have moved topic to Oddballs Jeanne B)

I had a blue lobster, but lost him to the jaws of a snowflake morray eel I had. The thing just popped the exoskeleton on his tail. That was all it took. Not all fish can damage these fish too much, but they do exist.

Jeanne, I looked at one myself this weekend. Almost got him till I heard the price. I can't picture him being too dangerous, but you never know. I believe if you provide some rocky hidey spots, they like to hang out there, and the other inhabitants will learn to avoid him if he is bothersome.

ive had a blue crayfish (crayfish = freshwater/lobster = saltwater) for a long time now. I do not think one would do well with your other fish because he would fight with and eventually kill your shrimps, and because the water temperature for fish is different than that needed for a crayfish. Crayfish prefer room temperature, and the high temperatures of a fish tank will eventually kill it. Also, crayfish tend to be great fishers...catching your fish when they swim by, and eating them.
If you really want one, i would go with a species tank. I have mine in an eclipse 12 setup. He is very happy and active, and always comes out to strut his stuff when anyone walks by.
blueguy.jpg

You can find out more information (and even a forum) from bluecrayfish.com

Bianca, love the setup! You could put that in for Tank of the Month! It's nice to know that a little creativity can go into making a home for an 'oddball' as well as a community setup. Love the bit of bogwood in the back :)

Thanks for all your responses. I did find someone at a pet store who had one and he did not recommend one for my tank. Said he would eat my fish. Oh well...maybe if I ever decide to set up another tank. Bianca, your tank is indeed beautiful...as is the blue lobster in it.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back