Blue incandisnt lights??

baseballfan111

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
im setting up a neon tank, those blue lights i heard give it a more ocean look and i have fake ocean plants, i think it would be cool but are those lights ok for my neons? i dont want 2 get anything that would stress them or kill them or shorten their lives.

I don't think fish care two hoots what colour their light is, or even if they have light.

From a design POV, I'm a little bemused by the idea of ocean-going neons! :p

Yea, I have to agree with Alien Anna. I've never heard any negatives on it pertaining to the fish's eyes and I guess if it were a problem we'd hear about it.

I know that colored lights drastically cut down on algea. The only problems that I know with incandescent lighting is that it really heats up the aquarium causing instability of the temperature.

If you want to use them and don't want to worry about the temperature fluctuations, maybe you could raise them a bit?

Oh! hehe When I read his question, I thought he meant actinic (?) lights, like are used in reef tanks!

Edit: OMG I just re-read the title to this thread. Could it bed time already?? :blink: :*)

AquaNut said:
Oh! hehe When I read his question, I thought he meant actinic (?) lights, like are used in reef tanks!

Edit: OMG I just re-read the title to this thread. Could it bed time already?? :blink: :*)
Considering you live in BC. I would say it's pretty late. :D

smb said:
AquaNut said:

Considering you live in BC. I would say it's pretty late. :D
LOL Shhhh!

well................the reason water looks blue....like the sea or clean rivers......is because blue from the light spectrum from the sun penetrates further thru the water than the green and the red.....therefore giving water a blue colouring........

green and red penetrate up to a depth of about 3 metres.....thats why shallow water is light blue (green and red do penetrate but more blue penetrates....thats why its light blue) and deep water looks dark blue (coz no green or red is present...just blue)

............u probably think im talkin poo but its true hahaha

so anyway........the blue lights probabky give a more natural feel to the fish.....but like the others said......i dont think it matters to ur fish.......u may not get as brilliant colours.......but the fish wont mind the blue light

Tek :fish:

Most reactions

Back