Bloated fish help!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyfishfishy

Reaction score
Can someone help me my fish is bloated and I can’t seem to find why…
Context:
-White cloud minnow (I have 14 total)
-25 gallon tank
-Water change weekly around 30% ish
-Filtered no heater (I’m in the tropics)
-Fed twice daily a pinch or two ish those tiny pellets for schooling fish
-I just finished my water testing kit and I’m short on money to get one rn so… so params :/ (I’m a student so I’m short on money but I’ll get one again asap)

But I don’t think it’s water issues cause:
- it’s an established tank tho I’ve had it for two to three years already never had any issues
-the rest of the fish are fine

I was thinking it’s dropsy (but I don’t think it’s pineconing..?) or just not digesting well (fasting didn’t work can’t get them to eat down peas sadly) Here’s some pics for reference (pls ignore the algae I’m having some severe algae issues I’ve yet to get rid of…)

IMG_9290.jpeg
IMG_9289.jpeg

How long have you had the fish for?
How long did it take to get fat like that?

It is either a tumour or a cyst and there's no cure for either. Tumours grow slowly over several months while cysts can cause a fish to bloat up like that in a few days.

If the fish has trouble eating or swimming, then euthanise it.

-------------------

Algae problems are usually associated with excess nutrients or too much light. If you have blue green algae (Cyanobacteria) on the substrate, that is normally too much nutrients and big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate can help. If you still can't get rid of it then look for something like ultralife green slime remover (linked below).

I’ve had the fish for like a year ish already. It doesn’t seem to have any problems eating or swimming tho so I’m kinda confused. Its belly got slowly suddenly I think but at first I thought it was just eggy (I’ve had a couple others spawn and had baby fish around that time) at first so didn’t pay much attention till it was unusually large. It’s abdomen it slightly red (bloody?) too if you look closely…

My tank is beside a window I don’t have anywhere else to put it sadly so… Algae isn’t bad for fish though is it..?

Most reactions

Back