Blacklisted (Non Aquatic ) Plants What To Avoid

JCorvinus

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Recently in Pets@Home , (yuk)   i picked up on them selling Dracena , 

a garden plant for aquatic use , this plant will rott , and destroy itself in ur tank and leave you with a horrible mess to clean up.

what other plants are there that should be avoided, 

(by the way , the look on their face was a treat when i pointed that one out ) 

They sell that plant here in the US as well. I have a nice one potted on my windowsill. I've also seen some peace lilies for sale as aquatic and they're not.

Look at the plants on http://www.tropica.com/dk/forside.aspx]Tropica[/url], if it comes up in Danish, click the flag top right. If you see a plant in the shop that is not on their site, be suspicious.

Ophiopogon japonicus was a plant I often saw in aquatic shops in the UK, it is a non aquatic, but generally takes a long time to die and rot.

The plants in Pets @ Home are from Tropica, it's just that Tropica also sell non-aquatic plants and Pets & Home don't seem to realise the difference.
I think there's a sticky at the top of the forum listing non-aquatic plants to beware of.

The thing is tropica also sell riparium/ terraium plants, which is what these plants should be used for. This is why it's just important to research you plants as well as fish. Neither company can be blamed, as the also sell reptiles and the like.

Most reactions

Back