Black warts on Betta help!

Lauren Mass

Reaction score
upload_2019-9-25_22-57-35.jpeg
my Betta recently started getting raised black growths - look like warts all over his body. This happened after I gave him dried blood worms as a treat- read in another forum to do. It may have nothing to do with the growths but ? He is acting normal but the growths have multiplied all over. I have tried fungal cure but it hasn’t seemed to help. He also has slightly frayed fins. Help I don’t know what do to
upload_2019-9-25_22-56-33.jpeg

upload_2019-9-25_22-57-35.jpeg
upload_2019-9-25_22-57-1.jpeg

The only disease I know of that causes small black spots on fish is black spot disease (Diplopstomiasis).

Try deworming the fish with Praziquantel or Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs.

The only disease I know of that causes small black spots on fish is black spot disease (Diplopstomiasis).

Try deworming the fish withPraziquantel or Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs.

Thank u! Silly question where do I get Praziquantel or Flubendazole? I have been ordering my supplies thru amazon or going to pet supply’s plus near me

Most pet shops should sell Praziquantel, which is used to treat tapeworm in cats, dogs and fish.

Flubendazole is available in the USA but I'm not sure exactly where from there because I am in Australia. However, pet shops should sell it otherwise Google it.

Amazon might have both but you only need one. If you can get Flubendazole it will treat more things than the Praziquantel.

What are your water parameters? Your fish looks very unhappy.

In the UK there some well known brands sell praziquantel but not under that name. Similarly flubendazole is available but not as that name.

What are your water parameters? Your fish looks very unhappy.
Does he? This is my first fish and he always swims to me when I’m close to tank and seems excited to see me. He will only eat when I feed him and if I go away for a day or two he hides so I thought he was happy for the most part. I’d love to learn more

Most pet shops should sell Praziquantel, which is used to treat tapeworm in cats, dogs and fish.

Flubendazole is available in the USA but I'm not sure exactly where from there because I am in Australia. However, pet shops should sell it otherwise Google it.

Amazon might have both but you only need one. If you can get Flubendazole it will treat more things than the Praziquantel.
Thank you I ordered from amazon and hope it helps as the spots are spreading

Does he? This is my first fish and he always swims to me when I’m close to tank and seems excited to see me. He will only eat when I feed him and if I go away for a day or two he hides so I thought he was happy for the most part. I’d love to learn more
He just looks like he doesn't feel well. I think it may be your water parameters. That’s why I asked what they were. What is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate testing at?

Most reactions

Back