Black spots on female guppy??

Darkomot

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have this female guppy that I got from my local fish store a few weeks ago. She was a medium-sized fry inside of the feeder guppy tank and I decided to keep her. I get her a few weeks ago, and as of a few days ago, I noticed a few black spots on her body and close to her dorsal fin. Are these spots anything to worry about, or are they her natural colorings? Could this be a bacterial or fungal infection? ALSO, I just noticed that there is a black spot on her tail too. These black spots are identical on BOTH sides of her.
IMG_20201004_124746__01.jpg
Thanks!

Looks like just her pigmentation to me. She may continue to change clots as she matures. :)

How old is the guppy? Is it just the photo or is the anal fin changing shape?
In other words, is it a juvenile male just starting to mature? That could explain the colouring starting to come out.

I agree it looks like a juvenile male
How old is the guppy? Is it just the photo or is the anal fin changing shape?
In other words, is it a juvenile male just starting to mature? That could explain the colouring starting to come out.
I agree it looks like a juvenile male

Are you sure it' a guppy?
Can we get couple more pictures?
It could be a parasitic worm that got lost in the body and ended up in the muscle tissue.

Hi all,
Jeez, I only just realized that this is most likely a male. Thanks! To add things into the mix...those black spots only appear in the morning and disappear an hour or so after I turn the lights on. Are guppies able to slightly change color like that? Also, yes this guppy is a juvenile. Thanks :)

Here are a few more photos:
These were taken after the spots disappeared partway through the day. FYI I'm sure that I am taking pictures of the same guppy as it's the only small guppy in the tank.
IMG_20201004_183442.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_183431.jpg
    IMG_20201004_183431.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 183
... To add things into the mix...those black spots only appear in the morning and disappear an hour or so after I turn the lights on. Are guppies able to slightly change color like that? Also, yes this guppy is a juvenile. Thanks :)
If the patches are going away after the tank lights come on, then it is nocturnal colouration and nothing to worry about. The additional picture you provided show no problems with the muscle tissue of that fish so that would confirm nocturnal colouration.

assuming it's a guppy and not a gambusia
Ooohh, I never even thought of a fish store selling gambusia as feeder fish, maybe mixed in with guppies?

I can't see much in the way of telling the difference, except if it is a male, they seem to develop those much longer gonopodium which is distinctive.

OP, could you update with more photos in a couple of weeks please? I think it would be easier to tell then, as it looks as though it's developing the gonopodium now. if it's very long compared to a male guppy then, think you'll know that it's a gambusia male and not a guppy.

Normally male guppies have colour in their tails by the time they are sexually mature. If the fish has a gonopodium then it's sexually mature. Gambusia don't have nay colour so it could be a Gambusia that accidentally ended up in with some guppies.

Normally male guppies have colour in their tails by the time they are sexually mature. If the fish has a gonopodium then it's sexually mature. Gambusia don't have nay colour so it could be a Gambusia that accidentally ended up in with some guppies.
That makes sense. Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it and wait a few weeks to make sure it is sexually mature in order to figure out what it is.

Most reactions

Back