Black Sand.......to Use Or Not To Use?

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
New tank has been ordered and while at the lfs the subject of black sand was mentioned, apparently they have a new lot coming in and I have begun to wonder whether or not it would look ok in a 360ltr, heavily planted tank? I currently have sand, (mixed brown/beige) in my tank and dont know whether or not to use all black sand or maybe mix some with the sand I have now. :S

Does anyone else use black sand? If so are you happy with it?

I`d be really grateful if any members who have black sand in their tanks and who have photos available, would please post them so I can get an idea of how it looks?

I guess I`d basically like some ideas and opinions please.

New tank has been ordered and while at the lfs the subject of black sand was mentioned, apparently they have a new lot coming in and I have begun to wonder whether or not it would look ok in a 360ltr, heavily planted tank? I currently have sand, (mixed brown/beige) in my tank and dont know whether or not to use all black sand or maybe mix some with the sand I have now. :S

Does anyone else use black sand? If so are you happy with it?

I`d be really grateful if any members who have black sand in their tanks and who have photos available, would please post them so I can get an idea of how it looks?

I guess I`d basically like some ideas and opinions please.

Ive got black sand and love it. It really makes the colours of the fish stand out. Ill post a pic up tomorrow. What brand of sand is it?

Thanks James. :)

To be honest I didn`t ask about the name of the sand, it was just an idea that was thrown into the conversation. I can find out when we go back to pick up the lighting units that we`ve ordered though.

I`d love to see your pics, thanks B-)

i use a mix of black sand and black gravel.

14th2.jpg

I'm a convert to black sand, my fish show their colours so much better with it.

Thank you for the replies. :D

I am certainly becoming more interested in changing to the black sand, from some pics I've seen the colours of plants and fish definitely seems to be brighter and more vibrant.
Thanks ianho for posting a pic of your tank, it clearly shows a nice contrast in colours. :good:

My tank with black sand. Its not the greatest pic in the world but I prefer to anything else. The colours just pop with that and the black background. Ive had gravel and light sand before too but this is my choice.

It is unipac black sand.
DSCF0565.jpg

Thanks James, looks good, it definitely brings out the colours of the plants!! :good:

I`m more or less convinced that black sand is what I`m gonna go for. I`ll put a background on the new tank too so hopefully the colours of all the fish and plants will look great. I`m really looking forward to getting it and making a start :D

The plant you have growing up the middle......what is that? It looks lovely.

My tank with black sand. Its not the greatest pic in the world but I prefer to anything else. The colours just pop with that and the black background. Ive had gravel and light sand before too but this is my choice.

It is unipac black sand.
DSCF0565.jpg

Hi, the Unipac black sand, is that the limpopo sand ?
Looks nice, tempted :good:

Limpopo....I think that`s the name of the sand that MA have ordered in for me. Couldn`t for the life of me remember the name. :blush:

Hi I dont know if it is that sand. I just know it was the unipac stuff. I ordered it off aquaessentials with the rest of my planted stuff.

The plant in the middle is Hydrocotyle Leucocephala, this is how it looks now

DSCF0634.jpg

If you're interested in some, I may have some to sell on soon. Its growing like mad for me, maybe a little too fast and spreading well too! :good:

Cheers, James

It`s a lovely looking plant and I`d love to have some off you when it`s available please James, thankyou.

Just give me a shout when ready, let me know how much and we can sort things from there B-)

It`s a lovely looking plant and I`d love to have some off you when it`s available please James, thankyou.

Just give me a shout when ready, let me know how much and we can sort things from there B-)

defo black sand if i was you. Set my tank up a week ago, whilst its fish less cycling. Put my white sand in and had doubts whether id like it so persisted with it a few days and couldnt keep it kept thinking i wont be able to change it when i get my fish so switched to black and i absolutly love it. Looks the dogs when you got some plants in. The limpopo is quiet light in colour, i went with the unipac black find stuff, think its actually gravel but its thats fine looks like sand.

I use Tahitian Moon Sand in my show tanks and I love it, looks great with shrimp, here's one of them:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/328976-shrimp-tank-re-scape/

Thanks hunter and Shred B-)

Tank looks great Shred! :good:

Unfortunately due to a delay in delivery the limpopo still hasn`t come in at the lfs. As I`m now in the process of setting up my new tank I`ve ended up going for 'Congo' instead which is a very poor second though :sad:

But......knowing how often I`ve re-scaped my tanks before I may yet end up with a more black substrate than I chose before. I`ll just have to give this setup a bit of time before talking hubby into letting me change it :hey: :lol:

Most reactions

Back