Black Salty Baitfish

keithp

Fishaholic
Reaction score
There is a new bait fish available for use catching salt water fish. It's a normal brown colored goldfish, that can last in salt water for up to 2 hours! Your usual goldfish would die in minutes from this, but not this variety. Personally, if any escape in freshwater they will live because all goldfish are hardy, but I was curious if anyone decided to keep one of these as a pet in a large aquarium or pond. They are legal to own or keep in the U.S., mabye other Countries too?
Their site- http://www.blacksalty.com/
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-02-13/sports/0502130128_1_black-salty-goldfish-bait

Oh boy, not this again. Comes up every few years. There's no such thing as the "saltwater" goldfish. It's just a goldfish, period.

Under laboratory testing these are no more salt tolerant than regular goldfish. May be hardier than fancy goldfish, and therefore able to tolerate extremes for longer, but crossbreed goldfish are hardier too. Salty goldfish are not otherwise any different from regular goldfish except that they have closer to wild-type colours. To quote from the US Department of the Interior:

"A newly developed variety of goldfish (black saltys) was basically equivalent to standard goldfish in its salinity tolerance."

Cheers, Neale

There is a new bait fish available for use catching salt water fish. It's a normal brown colored goldfish, that can last in salt water for up to 2 hours! Your usual goldfish would die in minutes from this, but not this variety. Personally, if any escape in freshwater they will live because all goldfish are hardy, but I was curious if anyone decided to keep one of these as a pet in a large aquarium or pond. They are legal to own or keep in the U.S.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-02-13/sports/0502130128_1_black-salty-goldfish-bait

Calm down, I know they are normal goldfish, but they arent technically just normal goldfish they are hardier. So if your keeping them as pets, they are good stock than sick feeder goldfish.

I was asking if anyone kept them as pets, they are goldfish after all. Curious if they live longer and are worth owning for outdoor yard ponds.

I don't need to calm down, thank you.

They're goldfish. Just goldfish. They're not "bred" any different. All goldfish can tolerate brackish water. There is nothing, NOTHING, special about these. The whole thing is an insane con trick. If you want to keep some greenish-gold goldfish, then by all means buy some. They don't need salt. They need the same water quality and chemistry as any other goldfish.

They need the same big aquarium as standard goldfish breeds such as comets, since these will get larger than fancy goldfish breeds. So set up a big aquarium, or more realistically, a pond, and keep them in there. 30 gallons for the first two, and another 10 gallons for each extra one if you're keeping them indoors.

Cheers, Neale

Calm down, I know they are normal goldfish, but to tolerate salt for a longer period of time is due to how they are raised, so they technically arent just normal goldfish.

I was asking if anyone kept them as pets, they are goldfish after all.

Most reactions

Back