Black Phantom Issues

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GJF

Reaction score
I added 6 Black Phantom Tetras to my tank 2 days ago. Their only tankmates are 8 zebra danios. The tank is 125l and ammonia and nitrite are both sitting at 0ppm. Today I noticed ones of the Male fins appeared discoloured and he looks like there is a tear in one of his fins. As I am new to the hobby I am concerned that he may have some disease, or am I overreacting and he may have simply came off worse against one of the other males I have. Thank you for any advice

Attachments

• 20200413_133458.jpg
    20200413_133458.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200413_133358.jpg
    20200413_133358.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 67
He is sick. His muscle tissue is looking a little off colour.

Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.
If you do a water change while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank.

If there's no improvement after a couple of days with salt, post some more pictures.

He is sick. His muscle tissue is looking a little off colour.

Wipe the inside of the glass with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.
If you do a water change while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank.

If there's no improvement after a couple of days with salt, post some more pictures.

Thanks for your advice. I was under the impression that it wasnt advised to use salt in a planted aquarium?

Plants, shrimp, all freshwater fish, and filter bacteria are fine with the dose rate I suggested (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres).

Could be getting fin nipped by the danios.
While water changes are always a good idea until one eliminates the cause of sickness and removes it its likely it will happen again.
Danios are really active swimmers where as tetras swimming style is a little more mellow this erratic swimming can stress out slower moving fish,plus the danios can be tempted to nip the longer fins of the phantoms both of which lead to stress which leads to disease which can lead to death.
Do the water change and salt bath and watch the danios for aggressive behavior

Thanks for your advice. I was under the impression that it wasnt advised to use salt in a planted aquarium?
I only use salt when treating fish for disease. I find zero benefit for fish or plants in using it otherwise.

I am responding primarily on the dorsal fin issue. This is normal for this species and probably nothing to worry about on its own. Male displays to each other in this species is very stgrong/high, and split dorsal fins are common. It rarely goes any farther than this. But males of this species (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus) are feisty in their displays of dominance and the dorsal fins frequently show the result.

While I am here...given that these fish were only acquired two days ago, I would be inclined to not go adding salt or anything else. Fish go through a lot getting from the hatchery to the store and then to your tank, and letting them settle quietly may be the best "treatment."

While water changes are always a good idea until one eliminates the cause of sickness and removes it its likely it will happen again.
It looks like early stage microsporidian infection (where the muscle tissue turns white and the fish die).

It looks like early stage microsporidian infection (where the muscle tissue turns white and the fish die).

I admit my eyesight is not great, but I honestly cannot see any white on the fish in the two photos. Am I missing something?

I admit my eyesight is not great, but I honestly cannot see any white on the fish in the two photos. Am I missing something?

I agree, i dont see any white in the pics, just a few ragged fins.

Do these pictures make it any clearer at all?

Attachments

• 20200413_185049.jpg
    20200413_185049.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200413_185008.jpg
    20200413_185008.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200413_185015.jpg
    20200413_185015.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 65
There is no white on the fish now but in the later stages of microsporidian the muscle tissues turns a creamy white colour and is quite noticeable. Before it gets to that stage, the fish's muscle tissue no longer looks clear and starts to take on a slight opaque tinge.

The first 2 pictures that were posted show a fish that has something going on and the muscle tissue does not look as clear as it should.

It might not be microsporidian but something is wrong (besides the split dorsal fin).

Given what the fish has gone through recently, I am inclined to attribute that to it not looking good, and without being certain of "x" I myself would not subject the fish to more stress from medications. Clean water and quiet.

Most reactions

Back