Black ghost knife fish

Philly-b

Reaction score
Hi all I've had a bgk now for 3 weeks
Seems to be thriving ATM and eating blood worm have temp set at 27
Now never kept one before I'm aware of its potential size ATM its young and around 2.5 to 3 inches and want to keep him healthy not sure if tank overstocked but its a boyu 250 ltr tank
He seems happy for now
Anyway my concern is my tank is 250 OK for him if not I've only got room for a 4ft 300 ltr boyu tank just hope that's big enough if you think I should upgrade for him many thanks

Attachments

• 14887383212011438537337.jpg
    14887383212011438537337.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 1488738490104-1430845228.jpg
    1488738490104-1430845228.jpg
    908.1 KB · Views: 222
Hi welcome to the forum.

Not sure on the size of aquarium needed for a BGK but my suspicion is a fairly large one. On Badmans tropical it says minimum 48" but not sure how reliable that is - couldn't find anything on seriously fish.

However, my concern is that it looks like a big pleco in that first pic - is it sailfin/common? If so you tank isn't big enough for him.

Also you asked if your tank was over stocked - what else do you have in there besides the BGK and the pleco?

Hi thanks for your reply will step up the tank to a 300 ltr would love to go bigger but limited space I have
Red fire eel x1
4 x platty 4x molly 4 mountain minnow
4 sucker loach 2 red tail sharks 1 hong Kong plec 1 common plec

Black Ghost Knife fish is one of my favourite fish as its mesmerising to watch, the way they swim.

I have to say, its not really th volume of water that counts with BGK, its the tank diemensions. In captivity they rarely grow over 20 inches but it has been known to grow to 2 feet in length. not a small fish at all.

Do remember that BGK cannot turn or bend their bodies like most secies of fish so therefore you will need at LEAST a 2 feet wide tank and minimum of 4 feet in length, preeferably 5 feet +.

So with these diemension in mind, say its a 48 inch x 24 inch wide x 24 inch high, thats a good 120 gallons or 455 litres, MINIMUM to have a BGK to live fairly comfortably for life.

As for tankmates, they do best with other 'oddball' fish, have to say guppies and minnows will make nice snacks for the BGK when it gets larger than it is now, anything that fits in its mouth will be fair game. Though maybe the mollies and platies might be susceptible to be food but it depends on how large they grow before the BGK, 50 / 50 really.

Would suggest tankmates like butterfly fish and eels as they can hold their own as well as being fairly large. Large Angels and larger botias should be ok (though a group of 5+ Angels rather than an established pair would fare better.)

Not the easiest of fish to keep, BGK, as they are rather sensistive to water parameters.

Not a fish specie I would suggest for the new fish keeper tbh.

BTW common plecos need a larger tank than 300litres as well tbh.
Red Tailed Sharks tend to get more and more aggressive as they get older so perhaps best kept in single number rather than in groups or in pairs due to their general nature of behaviour.

Please do some more research and asking for advice so that you have a good idea of what to expect when it comes to oddball fish such as BGK.

Thanks giving the smaller crew tail to my daughter just keeping one setting my friend up with my old tank and giving him a few of the smaller fish to start him off
Thanks for your reply think I will save up for a the boyu 500 ltr tank as ive got a bit of time before they become huge cheers

If the aim is to house this fish at maturity (i.e., its lifespan), you will need a tank that is 6 feet in length, and at least 2 feet width, absolute minimum. Depth is not important. As Ch4rlie said, the inflexible body requires this.

As for tankmates, remember this fish is predatory and anything under six inches may be eaten when the BGK is mature. Well suited with angelfish, discus or the medium peaceful South American cichlids such as Geophagus species. Avoid any nippy or aggressive fish. Knifefish produce an electrical field used to hunt prey, and must never be kept with other electric fish. The fish listed in post #3 are not suitable tankmates, if that is intended. Aside from behavioural issues, there is a vast divergence in water parameters, especially GH; mollies must have moderately hard or harder water, but the BGK is a very soft water species.

As for feeding, since bloodworms should only be fed once a week, I would look to other foods quickly. Naturally a micropredator, eating insect larvae, zooplankton and small fishes; it will sift through the sand substrate when hunting food. In In the aquarium, they will appreciate frozen or live bloodworms, small feeder fish, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp, etc. Can usually be weaned onto prepared foods. Small earthworms are relished and particularly good for getting new fish settled and eating. Nocturnal feeders, they should be fed at night. Once settled, they will often feed during the day, even from the aquarist's hand. [As is obvious here, a sand substrate is important.]

From the photos, you have another problem, and that is the lack of suitable hiding places, plus the need for dim light. Bits of bogwood with crevices and tunnels would be ideal; some use PVC pipe, not clear though. Floating plants are good to help dim the light.

A very specialized fish, and one that sadly does not live long often because it is forced into more basic "community" tanks where it will not usually do well.

Byron.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back