Black Collared Catfish Horabagus Nigricollaris

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Are the black collared catfish readily available in the UK? would like to know because I think I have got one, came with a tank. I have searched and searched planet catfish site and this is the one most similar to what I have.

Wow just searched it looks gorgeous how big is it any pics?

Have to say I particularly love planetcatfishes location descriptions - Chalakudy R., 26 km upstream of Chalakudy town, near Vettilappara, Kerala, India. Once I actually found one that used a small hut as a pointer for directions :lol:

Its approx 6" the one I have with two black patches like the collared catfish, not found anything else really similar yet, I hope its not though they grow 12". I have no camera now thanks to my 2 year old, tried borrowing one of a mate and its useless, need Minxy to pop round again and bring her camera lol she takes some cracking pictures. I must admit its a very nice looking fish from what I have seen of it, its taken rufuge under a rock and can only see its tail most of the time lol. I did give it a prod earlier when cleaning out the tank to get another look. The trouble is I have spent so long looking at pictures of catfish I keep forgetting what it looks like lol.

Got a really good look at the catfish this morning at 7am it was cruising round the tank, it is a black collared catfish without a doubt, very nice.

update: Black collared catfish grow fast :crazy: He was in a 180l tank, now he is in a 400l tank he is now about 9", dont know what he is eating because I have never seen him eat yet, although I always drop food in at lights out.

If anyone has any info on these guys I would appreciate it as the net is rather limited and one lfs I called said "a what, never heard of it you mean a sun cat?"

Most reactions

Back