Black Algae

canyoubelieveit

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just purchased a complete 200 gallon FOWLR setup for my Dad. I got a very good deal on the system and could not pass it up. Now... there is only one concern that I have. In all of my tanks, I have beautiful purple coraline algae, but this tank is full of black algae on the rock. I this cyanobacteria? There are plenty of sources to decide what to do if it is, but I am just not sure.

The rock is completely black and it covers just like coraline algae would. I did notice some green slime cyano on the side of the tank. Before my Dad adds fish and completes the cleanup crew, I would love to diagnose this. I am not against completely recycling the tank... but that would be a last option senario.

I will try to get pictures, but I'm sure that some of you have had problems with "black" algae.

Help me out... please! I've never had any problems with the systems I've started from scratch.

Thanks in advance-
CYBI?

Hello CYBI,

I also has some black, encrusting type algae on one of my pieces of LR. The guy at the LFS said it was a good thing, but that's all I know about it, Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

FF

If its slimey in texture then its probably cyano. This bacteria doesnt just come in red but also varies to brown and even black in some instances. IF this is so then i would do a water change with RO water and reduce feeding. THis will reduce nutrients and thus increasing Nitrates and Phosphates.

Do some water tests as this will probably show up a spike in nutrients. Dont re-cycle as you will only have to go through the silicate algae/cyano stage all over again.

Cleanup crew.. the ratio of 1 per gallon is recomended but of course be mindful this is a fish only setup and thus some fish might see your cleanup crew as a tasty snack.

The only thing I would know of is that it could be a black sponge. This certain species of sponge actually thrives under intense lighting, and spreads over rock pretty quickly. So if it doesnt seem like what was described above, maybe that would be an option.

I'd say beef up the cleanup crew and the photoperiod and the calcium levels, whatever this stuff is I can garauntee you that something ets it, you just have to get high enought levels of that something, Algea forms in the ocean too but herbivours eat it, coral reefs have low nutrient levels because stuff is always eating the algea that forms and then that stuff gets eaten, its a fantastic cycle. While it may look ugly now just wait till more attractive algeas form, maybe even some macros. Things will work out, you just need to give them time.

Most reactions

Back