Biotope aquaria vs 'candy' aquaria (and why I don't view bad content anymore)

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
We usually see tropical and coldwater fish in 'candy' aquaria in bad YouTube channels and Facebook posts. 'Candy' aquaria is a term referring to aquaria that have fake plants, ornaments or incompatible fish with other fish. Good community aquaria are not classified as 'candy' aquaria because they put the right community fish species and plants in with another fish species and vice versa. There are bad 'candy' aquaria such as my first fish tank with incompatible silvertip tetras with cardinal tetras and a dwarf gourami in it. It is a 40 litre aquarium that I still have today. Most fish-themed YouTube channels are notorious for making terrible 'candy' aquaria for kids and toddlers. It's basically eye-candy for the kids. I don't view them anymore, and I'll tell you why later. However not all of them follow the same path as the other ones. For example SerpaDesign. Tanner makes really good aquaria for fish and aquatic invertebrates despite most of them are not biotope aquaria. One of the only times that Tanner made a biotope aquarium was for Altum Angelfish.

Biotope aquaria, on the other hand, are an aquarium that closely replicates a fish or fishes' natural habitat that they are found in the wild. There are many different types of biotope aquaria, such as blackwater and river biotopes from Southeast Asia and South America respectively. These aquaria are the most accurate of all the aquaria out there. Aquarists research the fish's natural habitat first, then build the aquarium for the desired habitat with fish living in these habitats as they do in the wild. However, it is quite difficult to actually replicate said habitat from memory. Some aquarists go to their researched fish's natural habitat and snorkel or take underwater photos with special cameras to see what it looks like underwater. Some aquarists have actually done it from memory, like in Tanner's case. They have remembered the biotope itself, with all the driftwood, other hardscape and native plants they need. It's mostly done for endangered fish, such as the eyespot rasbora (or emerald eye rasbora), Boseman's rainbowfish and the endemic emerald dwarf danio.

One reason why I don't view bad youtube content anymore is because I was asked not to view them many times prior. I listened and I didn't view a single terrible facebook post or youtube video anymore starting yesterday. Creators do this and more for money and viewers. Some of the fish on the bad youtube content that I used to watch, that I need help ID'ing, were identified by the helpful TFF team and Planet Catfish, as in the case of Fisher's woodcat (Trachelyopterus fisheri). Fisher's woodcat were seen in a few videos on a New Zealand youtube channel with other incompatible fish. Back then, I did not know what it was. I just assumed it was a pictus catfish. Then I took a screencap of the catfish at the 8:09 timestamp of one of their videos and contacted Planet Catfish for identification. One of the users of the fourm identified it as the catfish I was looking for. There was also a humbug catfish at the end of the timestamp.

Another reason why I don't watch this type of content anymore is because it makes me stressed and makes everybody stressed. School is stressful and watching this content makes me more stressed to the point that I get addicted to watching it over and over and over again. But it makes young kids and toddlers happy, which leads to them not taking care of fish properly or put the wrong species in their fish tank. They just don't know what fish cruelty is. It's different from say, a cat or dog.

I have stopped watching bad content now and in the future. I broke free from YT recommendations that lead to clickbaity titles and bad fish content. And it's good for me, too. Now I don't have be asked over again or post them on the TFF platform.

We usually see tropical and coldwater fish in 'candy' aquaria in bad YouTube channels and Facebook posts. 'Candy' aquaria is a term referring to aquaria that have fake plants, ornaments or incompatible fish with other fish. Good community aquaria are not classified as 'candy' aquaria because they put the right community fish species and plants in with another fish species and vice versa. There are bad 'candy' aquaria such as my first fish tank with incompatible silvertip tetras with cardinal tetras and a dwarf gourami in it. It is a 40 litre aquarium that I still have today. Most fish-themed YouTube channels are notorious for making terrible 'candy' aquaria for kids and toddlers. It's basically eye-candy for the kids. I don't view them anymore, and I'll tell you why later. However not all of them follow the same path as the other ones. For example SerpaDesign. Tanner makes really good aquaria for fish and aquatic invertebrates despite most of them are not biotope aquaria. One of the only times that Tanner made a biotope aquarium was for Altum Angelfish.

Biotope aquaria, on the other hand, are an aquarium that closely replicates a fish or fishes' natural habitat that they are found in the wild. There are many different types of biotope aquaria, such as blackwater and river biotopes from Southeast Asia and South America respectively. These aquaria are the most accurate of all the aquaria out there. Aquarists research the fish's natural habitat first, then build the aquarium for the desired habitat with fish living in these habitats as they do in the wild. However, it is quite difficult to actually replicate said habitat from memory. Some aquarists go to their researched fish's natural habitat and snorkel or take underwater photos with special cameras to see what it looks like underwater. Some aquarists have actually done it from memory, like in Tanner's case. They have remembered the biotope itself, with all the driftwood, other hardscape and native plants they need. It's mostly done for endangered fish, such as the eyespot rasbora (or emerald eye rasbora), Boseman's rainbowfish and the endemic emerald dwarf danio.

One reason why I don't view bad youtube content anymore is because I was asked not to view them many times prior. I listened and I didn't view a single terrible facebook post or youtube video anymore starting yesterday. Creators do this and more for money and viewers. Some of the fish on the bad youtube content that I used to watch, that I need help ID'ing, were identified by the helpful TFF team and Planet Catfish, as in the case of Fisher's woodcat (Trachelyopterus fisheri). Fisher's woodcat were seen in a few videos on a New Zealand youtube channel with other incompatible fish. Back then, I did not know what it was. I just assumed it was a pictus catfish. Then I took a screencap of the catfish at the 8:09 timestamp of one of their videos and contacted Planet Catfish for identification. One of the users of the fourm identified it as the catfish I was looking for. There was also a humbug catfish at the end of the timestamp.

Another reason why I don't watch this type of content anymore is because it makes me stressed and makes everybody stressed. School is stressful and watching this content makes me more stressed to the point that I get addicted to watching it over and over and over again. But it makes young kids and toddlers happy, which leads to them not taking care of fish properly or put the wrong species in their fish tank. They just don't know what fish cruelty is. It's different from say, a cat or dog.

I have stopped watching bad content now and in the future. I broke free from YT recommendations that lead to clickbaity titles and bad fish content. And it's good for me, too. Now I don't have be asked over again or post them on the TFF platform.
I agree with this. Viewing the bad content gives those bad creators money, and they will think they are doing great instead of thinking they need to fix something.

The only thing I would add is that as a newbie it's not always easy to know what a "bad" video is, which I guess is what these youtubers rely on ie lack of knowledge. I've recently started getting into watching some videos and it is a bit of a minefield! I like to watch long videos about builds, I find them really relaxing but try not to take everything they do/say as 100% correct.

Most reactions

Back