Biorb tank

alexandraprice

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve decided to get a fish for the first time today. I’ve bought the tank and accessories. It is a 15 litre baby biorb. I didn’t put in the special filtration gravel that it came with. I just used small gravel that I bought in the pet store. Will this be ok or do I need to use the biorb gravel? Please help

From my crash course of what those particular aquariums are designed and marketed as, they are a UGF type filtration system. The substrate they provide (looking at images online) looks.to be substantial, and porous. This will have the added benefit of beneficial.bacteria colonies having and.overaboundance of space to form. It would benefit you, and your new adventure, to use the substrate they provided. You may be even able to use some of the other stuff you got as well. But their use of the term "filtration media" is exactly what I outlined. It is an undergravel filter system that uses that gravel as a biofiltration system for chemicals, namely ammonia, converting it into less harmful stuff for fish.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is there any chance you can tank the tank back and get a square of rectangular shaped tank that holds more water?

Whilst Bio-orbs look decorative, they are absolutely useless, awful things to maintain. The small water volume also makes it really hard to keep anything in it. A normal rectangular shaped aquarium that holds 40+ litres is much more user friendly and will give you way more options when it comes to fish.

I'd have to disagree with the first answer and say that any gravel you use is perfectly fine. Manufacturers like to say their biological media has more surface area and smaller pores to grow bacteria, but in reality this may just mean it clogs up faster. I watched a YouTube video where someone put a piece of regular aquarium gravel under a microscope and it looked like the surface of the moon. So any gravel, even smooth aquarium gravel will have more than enough surface area for biological bacteria. Undergravel filters have fallen out of favor but they are actually my favorite type of aquarium filtration.

I also agree with Colin that you need to dump the bio orb and get a rectangular aquarium. I had a similar experience when I was starting out. I fell in love with the Fluval Edge. It looked so much better than those black rimmed rectangle boxes! But after setting it up it was nothing but frustration. Now I love the simplicity and elegance of a 20 gallon tall aquarium.

Good luck!

Hello. I currently have a biorb and also set one up for a family member. So have had a lot of experience with them (good and bad). Similar to what other people are saying, the biorbs really are far from ideal and aren’t the best however there are ways to get around the problems. The sharp ceramic media at the bottom I have experienced is quite dangerous for fish as when I had it in there my fish damaged their tails and bodies on it when they sleep. The reason it is the way it is though is because apparently the material and such is good for benefital bacteria. It also allows poop and such to easily be sucked into the bubble filter. Getting rid of it means it’s safer for the fish but the built in filter won’t work as well if you use regular gravel. What I did was put the ceramic media on the bottom of the tank and then add a layer ontop of gravel. A 15L is quite small however I reckon you could keep a few guppies or a Betta with a snail if you buy a heater (these are about £20-30.) if you don’t want tropical, I think mountain minnows are cold water (not completely sure though). Personally I’d add live plants because plants are always great to have in an aquarium and you can get very easy ones to keep. You can also find very small filters since the biorb filters aren’t very good. To add in there too. I’ll attach a pic of my grandparents baby biorb. There’s is going very well and plants are growing good.

Attachments

• 511C00BF-4EE0-4D02-AEF6-5AB1B5A906F2.jpeg
    511C00BF-4EE0-4D02-AEF6-5AB1B5A906F2.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 504E0400-77DB-4CAB-B365-F2DDA43618FF.jpeg
    504E0400-77DB-4CAB-B365-F2DDA43618FF.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 154
Hello. I currently have a biorb and also set one up for a family member. So have had a lot of experience with them (good and bad). Similar to what other people are saying, the biorbs really are far from ideal and aren’t the best however there are ways to get around the problems. The sharp ceramic media at the bottom I have experienced is quite dangerous for fish as when I had it in there my fish damaged their tails and bodies on it when they sleep. The reason it is the way it is though is because apparently the material and such is good for benefital bacteria. It also allows poop and such to easily be sucked into the bubble filter. Getting rid of it means it’s safer for the fish but the built in filter won’t work as well if you use regular gravel. What I did was put the ceramic media on the bottom of the tank and then add a layer ontop of gravel. A 15L is quite small however I reckon you could keep a few guppies or a Betta with a snail if you buy a heater (these are about £20-30.) if you don’t want tropical, I think mountain minnows are cold water (not completely sure though). Personally I’d add live plants because plants are always great to have in an aquarium and you can get very easy ones to keep. You can also find very small filters since the biorb filters aren’t very good. To add in there too. I’ll attach a pic of my grandparents baby biorb. There’s is going very well and plants are growing good.
Far far far too small for mountain minnows.

Wow thanks so much for your help. Yeah I think I’m just gonna take out the pet store gravel and put the biorb one back in and then add abit on top. I’m only planning on having a few guppies in there and I’ve got a few live plants. Thanks

I'd have to disagree with the first answer and say that any gravel you use is perfectly fine. Manufacturers like to say their biological media has more surface area and smaller pores to grow bacteria, but in reality this may just mean it clogs up faster. I watched a YouTube video where someone put a piece of regular aquarium gravel under a microscope and it looked like the surface of the moon. So any gravel, even smooth aquarium gravel will have more than enough surface area for biological bacteria. Undergravel filters have fallen out of favor but they are actually my favorite type of aquarium filtration.

I also agree with Colin that you need to dump the bio orb and get a rectangular aquarium. I had a similar experience when I was starting out. I fell in love with the Fluval Edge. It looked so much better than those black rimmed rectangle boxes! But after setting it up it was nothing but frustration. Now I love the simplicity and elegance of a 20 gallon tall aquarium.

Good luck!
Yeah i was thinking that they could have just said you have to use their gravel for advertising. Sadly I’ve already assembled the tank and set it up with the water in so it can’t go back :( but I might invest in a new one in a few months time if the biorb is bad

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Is there any chance you can tank the tank back and get a square of rectangular shaped tank that holds more water?

Whilst Bio-orbs look decorative, they are absolutely useless, awful things to maintain. The small water volume also makes it really hard to keep anything in it. A normal rectangular shaped aquarium that holds 40+ litres is much more user friendly and will give you way more options when it comes to fish.
Sadly no, I can’t take it back :( I wish I had done my research before buying it but the guy in the pet store made it out to be so good. I will probably invest in a better tank later down the line. Thanks for ur help tho

From my crash course of what those particular aquariums are designed and marketed as, they are a UGF type filtration system. The substrate they provide (looking at images online) looks.to be substantial, and porous. This will have the added benefit of beneficial.bacteria colonies having and.overaboundance of space to form. It would benefit you, and your new adventure, to use the substrate they provided. You may be even able to use some of the other stuff you got as well. But their use of the term "filtration media" is exactly what I outlined. It is an undergravel filter system that uses that gravel as a biofiltration system for chemicals, namely ammonia, converting it into less harmful stuff for fish.
Ohhh right ok, so it’s part of the filter system. I think I will probs put some of them in then and see how it goes. Thanks for your help !

@alexandraprice take a look on youtube, there is a guy on there "Pimp my filter" who has upgraded a bioorb to become more effective. I, personally do not like them but each to there own. Good luck to you on your fish journey :)

@alexandraprice take a look on youtube, there is a guy on there "Pimp my filter" who has upgraded a bioorb to become more effective. I, personally do not like them but each to there own. Good luck to you on your fish journey :)
Oh thanks I’ll watch that now ! Yeah I’ve heard the filter is not too good , which is a shame, I wish I had done my research. Thank you !

Wow thanks so much for your help. Yeah I think I’m just gonna take out the pet store gravel and put the biorb one back in and then add abit on top. I’m only planning on having a few guppies in there and I’ve got a few live plants. Thanks
Ayyy. Hope it goes well. Any questions feel free to ask. Also I’d highly recommend a nerite snail too. Those things have worked wonders when it comes to algae control in my tank.

Most reactions

Back