Bio Wheel Filter Stopped

lotus3

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
o.k., my Penguin 200 bio wheel filter has stalled, and then completely stopped for the umpteenth time now. I've about had it with cleaning everything and re-assembling, especially at midnight! Actually, I have 5 other tanks, every one of them has a different filter on it, from whisper to aqueon to just plain old hydro sponge,  and every 1 of them works just as well as the penguin, water is nice and clear and parameters are 
normal. Although I'll stop short at saying this bio wheel doesn't work, I do question how much of an improvement over any other HOB it is!
The tank the penguin is on is a 29g with an angel, 2 cories, 2 small tetras, 2 glass cats, and a raphael cat. It also has a large hydro-sponge filter in it, I haven't touched it in about a year. Until I decide on another filter, (and we know what it WON'T be) if I take the bio wheel out will the penguin act like any other HOB filter without a bio wheel? 
Thanks.

Barbara

Since there is a sponge in there I would think for short term purposes taking the bio wheel out would be okay, but I am not all that experienced in filters and such so if you want to wait for a second opinion before taking action that does not hurt my feelings :p . Hope you get it figured out. :fish:

I'm not too sure. But i would just take it out and leave the hyrdo sponge filter in there on its own until you can find a suitable replacement for the faulty filter. Hope this helped

Most reactions

Back