Bio Ring On Sponge Filter ?

KevinZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.
I am currently Re-Scaping My 66 Gallon Long Tank.
Going to add more Substrate before start the biological Cycle.
No Direct Sun Light.
Soft Sand Substrate
Sponge Filter (Bio Foam Filter size BF-4 For 360 Liter Tank)
Natural Low Light
Blackwater Aquarium (Adding Almond Leaf after Cycle Done)

Stocking :
10 Congo Tetra
10 Mix Panda & Albino Corys
Anubias Nana
Arrogant Blue Bucephalandra
Pelia Moss

I wanted to ask can you add Bio Ring to Sponge Filter to fastening the cycle process? I have Bio Ring in my other Aquarium External. Filter.
IMG_20200528_150733.jpg

Last edited:
In spite of what manufacturers might have us believe, there's nothing sacred about ceramic, plastic, or rock (eg pumice stone) bio-medias. It's all about surface areas for beneficial biology to colonize. Sponge filters do that very nicely all on their own. And unlike hard, commercial bio-medias, sponges clean easily and last nearly forever and a day. Also, when the tank is established (6 months or more) there will be more BB in the tank, especially the substrate, then in any filter.

If you meant move the bio rings from your other filter then it will make the cycle go faster. This is only true if the other filter is still running. That way you will transfer some of the bacteria into your new filter and kick start the process. You can then replace the bio rings in your old filter with new media - either more bio rings or sponge.

@AbbeysDad is absolutely right when he says there is no advantage of bio rings over sponge, but in the case where your existing rings already have the bacteria on board moving them into the new filter will help.

Yes I have established 55 Gallon 1 & 1/2 Year's Old tank with 3 Month Bio Ring and I want to take Half of the Old Bio Ring To This 66 Gallon to boost my cycle time.
I already Set it up
Current Chemical Status is :
Ammonia: 1.5
Nitrate : 0
Nitrite : 0
Water Hardness is Soft to Moderate
PH : 7.0

I Want to put Half Much and replace another Half my 55 Gallon Bio Ring. But I can't put too many Bio Ring On Sponge Filter Anyway. This is what I do to the Sponge Filter

15906699972607118452201334970695.jpg

Water is still cloudy because I only wash my Sand 7 Time's. Anything to concern about?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back