Big Tank - Big Filter

mrlewis1978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Next month I will be upgrading my tank, to what I hope will be at least 600 litres (daunting!).

I have seen this size tank sold with either 1 filter capable of the job i.e. up to 600 litres. More often than not I have seen this size tank coming with 2 filters i.e. 2 X 300 litre filters.

Does anyone have any advice what to go for, or their own experience of what works best?

Thank you. :) :D

Depends what type of filter you want. Internal or external.
I have an internal Otto 2000. Pumps 2000L per hour. I have it in my 420L tank. It does a superb job.

Depends what type of filter you want. Internal or external.
I have an internal Otto 2000. Pumps 2000L per hour. I have it in my 420L tank. It does a superb job.

I was thinking external as this is what I have seen. I didnt think an internal filter would be suitable for such a big tank?

2 x tetratec ex1200s or perhaps one fluval fx5 ?

I have a Fluval FX5 (real world turnover of ~2300lph) and an All Pond Solutions 2000EF (real world turnover ~1200lph) in my riverine 5x2x2 (usually supplemented by a 5000lph powerhead), which currently has ~250cm of fish in it. In hindsight, I wish I had bought two FX5s when they could be had for £140 new delivered, the build quality is far superior and the extra real world turnover would be appreciated by that community.

2 x FX5's on both my 5ft tanks. they do a great job :good:

better to over filter than have just about enough. flow rates of filters are normally taken when the canister is empty so when full of sponges and media etc they will be reduced considerably. the FX5 states 3500lph so according to hagen i have 7000lph on both of my tanks which is very hard to believe tbh. as NoG states its probably more like 2300lph each.

I am hopefully going to go for a 5ft by 2ft by 3ft - looks like two FX5 will do the trick?

I am hopefully going to go for a 5ft by 2ft by 3ft - looks like two FX5 will do the trick?

i know its better to over filter but 2 fx5s on one 5 foot tank might be too much. i've never had an fx5 but i heard they are really powerful. hope someone who runs them can post a video of 2 together working

i know its better to over filter but 2 fx5s on one 5 foot tank might be too much. i've never had an fx5 but i heard they are really powerful. hope someone who runs them can post a video of 2 together working
like i said in a previous post i run 2 x FX5 on both my 5ft tanks and they are fine :good:

just out of interest is there any reason you are going for a 3ft tall tank? the extra water volume wont mean a massive difference in stocking as its more about the surface area/footprint of the tank?

the cost of a 3ft tall tank will be much much more compared to a 2ft tall tank which will be much more managable too unless you have extra long arms :unsure:

Thanks for your help everyone.

The 3ft height is the same price as the 2ft height so I thought I may aswell order that one. I didnt really think about the long arm things though, although I am 6ft 3 I think maintenance would be much easier on the 2ft option!

You will be absolutely fine with 2 x FX5 - I have two on my 350L and think they are brilliant.

Thanks for your help everyone.

The 3ft height is the same price as the 2ft height so I thought I may aswell order that one. I didnt really think about the long arm things though, although I am 6ft 3 I think maintenance would be much easier on the 2ft option!
i have to agree. im 6ft and struggle to reach the substrate without using something to stand on..... 3ft tall would be impossible and would require a stool and you would get wet arm pits! :sick:

2 fx5s get the thumbs up then. and + 1 on the wet armpit thing lol, i'd still get the 3 foot one though

I have 3 filters in my 612 liter tank; two Eheim 2252 internals to collect the waste, and Eheim Professionel 3 external for 600 liters. Did fine with two internals at first, but then I got big plecos and big cichlids which produce a lot of waste so external was needed as well. Plus, externals usually keep their bacteria levels much better than internals, so my internals is for collecting plant parts and things like that.

So, you could do quite well with two internals or an external with capacity big enough, but if you get fish that waste a lot, I'd say you get both.

But every tank is an individual, so you go with filters that work for your tank! :good:

Most reactions

Back