Big Open Wound! Please Help

brittani299

Reaction score
Hello. I have a gourami that has a big open wound on his side. It started as a small wound and I thought that he got it from one of the fish but it has been getting bigger. He is acting normal and is eating fine. There is nothing in the tank that can causd him to have this wound. I have been putting aquarium salt and stess coat in the tank to see if this helps and it doesnt seem to help. I havd also changed the water 50% once a week for several weeks now.
It is a 10 gallon tank and I have 2 gouramis and 1 australian rainbow fish. The temp is 75 and the ph and everything is fine. Does anyone know whats wrong? I dont have a second tank to put him in so everything I do will have to be in the main tank. Will add pics.

Here is a pic of my fish. fish.jpg

oww :crazy:

best you can do is keep the water clean. Try to do water changes more frequently. you might wanna try adding some natural remedies like melafix, but it's not really necessary. 10 gallons leaves very, very little room for mistakes, and dwarf gouramis aren't the most hardy things.

Hello. I have a gourami that has a big open wound on his side. It started as a small wound and I thought that he got it from one of the fish but it has been getting bigger. He is acting normal and is eating fine. There is nothing in the tank that can causd him to have this wound. I have been putting aquarium salt and stess coat in the tank to see if this helps and it doesnt seem to help. I havd also changed the water 50% once a week for several weeks now.
It is a 10 gallon tank and I have 2 gouramis and 1 australian rainbow fish. The temp is 75 and the ph and everything is fine. Does anyone know whats wrong? I dont have a second tank to put him in so everything I do will have to be in the main tank. Will add pics.

You could turn the temp up to 80F to stimulate the fish's immune system. Be careful using melafix with a gourami, there are reports of it harming the labyrinth organ. I have no personal knowledge one way or the other. I'd consider changing 20% daily for a while to keep the water as pristine as possible. There is another thread with a dwarf gourami exhibiting similar symptoms.

I agree with onidrase on the melafix... it'll give the wound a coating and also soothe it so it doesn't hurt quite so much :)

You could turn the temp up to 80F to stimulate the fish's immune system. Be careful using melafix with a gourami, there are reports of it harming the labyrinth organ. I have no personal knowledge one way or the other. I'd consider changing 20% daily for a while to keep the water as pristine as possible. There is another thread with a dwarf gourami exhibiting similar symptoms.

at a half dose melafix will be fine... they do one for antabantoids called bettafix as well - immune system? what immune system! they have been inbred to the extent where it is almost non-existent! We are it's immune system!!!!!

I also agree with the Melafix. I used it to treat an open wound on one of my cichlids. Worked great! Best of luck :)

melafix 3 - disease 0

perfect!

I seriously advise the OP to do a simple google search of melafix and anabantids before deciding. I have a bunch of rescue dwarf gouramis that I've been caring for. I used a half dose of melafix on them initially and they rapidly showed signs that they didn't like it so I immediately removed them from it. I haven't used it since on them. I'm a big fan of melafix, but I wouldn't use it on my betta or on any of my gouramis again. It's an oil and it makes a slick on the surface of the water. Anabantid fish need to breath air at the surface. If something messes up their labyrinth organ they will die, no ifs ands or buts.

No offense to the other poster, but cichlids are not labyrinth organ fish (anabantids) so they don't apply. I've used melafix before on other fish (danios, cherry barbs and a red tail shark) and they seemed to love it. They bathe in it like it feels good or tastes good to them. My gourami rescue fish were already very ill, but they didn't seem to react well to it.

melafix 3 - disease 0

perfect!

I seriously advise the OP to do a simple google search of melafix and anabantids before deciding. I have a bunch of rescue dwarf gouramis that I've been caring for. I used a half dose of melafix on them initially and they rapidly showed signs that they didn't like it so I immediately removed them from it. I haven't used it since on them. I'm a big fan of melafix, but I wouldn't use it on my betta or on any of my gouramis again. It's an oil and it makes a slick on the surface of the water. Anabantid fish need to breath air at the surface. If something messes up their labyrinth organ they will die, no ifs ands or buts.

No offense to the other poster, but cichlids are not labyrinth organ fish (anabantids) so they don't apply. I've used melafix before on other fish (danios, cherry barbs and a red tail shark) and they seemed to love it. They bathe in it like it feels good or tastes good to them. My gourami rescue fish were already very ill, but they didn't seem to react well to it.

I have to fully agree with afremont here.

I have been using this to treat some fish now for the last week and i have had some really great results especially in healing wounds, i also added it to my main tank which had 4 dwarf gouramis in at the time, the problem is that it makes a oily film, and foam on the water surface, it could easily obstruct the gouramis from breathing, i think the reason they were ok is the fact that my main tank has a big surface area, and my filter breaks the water so its constantly on the move, However if i was treating the gouramis in my small hospital tank i think the story would of been very different, currently i am treating angels in there and when i add the melafix the surface is completely covered in bubbles/oil for hours, this would easily ruin the dwarf gouramis day.

melafix 3 - disease 0

perfect!

I have been using this to treat some fish now for the last week and i have had some really great results especially in healing wounds, i also added it to my main tank which had 4 dwarf gouramis in at the time, the problem is that it makes a oily film, and foam on the water surface, it could easily obstruct the gouramis from breathing, i think the reason they were ok is the fact that my main tank has a big surface area, and my filter breaks the water so its constantly on the move, However if i was treating the gouramis in my small hospital tank i think the story would of been very different, currently i am treating angels in there and when i add the melafix the surface is completely covered in bubbles/oil for hours, this would easily ruin the dwarf gouramis day.

Did you notice any behavioral changes in the DGs after adding the melafix? My fish immediately tried to avoid it in the water before it was dissipated, whereas all my other fish actively seek it out when I dump it in the tank. Then when I started reading all the stuff on the net about melafix and labyrinth fish I really got nervous about it. Given the design of the organ, it makes sense that coating the inside surface with oil might not be a good thing for keeping it working efficiently.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great stuff. It just doesn't seem to be "harmless" to labyrinth fish.

In the case of large sores, I'd be most inclined to get the fish out and put some iodine on it. Easier said than done though, I know. Also I can say this with total confidence, aquarium salt won't cause the fish any harm and it could help this fish in numerous ways.

melafix 3 - disease 0

perfect!

Did you notice any behavioral changes in the DGs after adding the melafix? My fish immediately tried to avoid it in the water before it was dissipated, whereas all my other fish actively seek it out when I dump it in the tank. Then when I started reading all the stuff on the net about melafix and labyrinth fish I really got nervous about it. Given the design of the organ, it makes sense that coating the inside surface with oil might not be a good thing for keeping it working efficiently.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great stuff. It just doesn't seem to be "harmless" to labyrinth fish.

In the case of large sores, I'd be most inclined to get the fish out and put some iodine on it. Easier said than done though, I know. Also I can say this with total confidence, aquarium salt won't cause the fish any harm and it could help this fish in numerous ways.

I saw no change in their behaviour when adding melafix to my main tank, i was on the third day dosage before i rehomed them (still all ok in new home) in fact they were still making nests in the corners of my tank.

But my main tank is fairly wide with lots of surface area and agitation from the the filter output, so maybe the oily surface was kept at bay by this.

There also is somewhere a thread where it is recommended when doing a water change, to add the water not dechlorinated to let the chlorine desinfect the wound, once the tank is filled add the dechlorinator, making sure not to turn on the filter until the water is dechlorinated.

I would recommend to just do daily water changes that way, it should keep the wound from getting infected and the fresh water will speed up the healing process!

Thank you all for your replies. :) So people are saying that I shouldn't use the medicine on him because it will stop him from breathing the air? So should I just do water changes everyday then?

I have also now noticed that my second gourami is acting really weird. He is just sitting at the bottom of his tank and his eyes seem to be sticking out more then normal but he doesn't have a wound. Also I got he about 2 months ago and he doesn't seem to be growing at all. I don't know what his problem is. I read in someones post at the top that these fish are not the most immune fish is that why my rainbow is perfectly fine but these two are having problems?

Thank you all for your replies. :) I have also now noticed that my second gourami is acting really weird. He is just sitting at the bottom of his tank and his eyes seem to be sticking out more then normal but he doesn't have a wound. Also I got he about 2 months ago and he doesn't seem to be growing at all. I don't know what his problem is. I read in someones post at the top that these fish are not the most immune fish is that why my rainbow is perfectly fine but these two are having problems?

Bulging eyes are from pressure building up on the inside. There's not much free space in a fish. Can you post a picture? I think that the general consensus is that pop-eye is usually caused by a bacterial infection. The big sore on the first fish looks an awful lot like a staph infection of some kind. Did it start as a bump, then get somewhat like a pimple and then finally burst open?

At any rate, if it were my fish, I'd start treating them both with a broad spectrum antibiotic. You can combine maracyn 1 and maracyn 2 to act as broad spectrum, or you can use something like kanamycin. If they are eating, google up on how to mix the antibiotics with food to safely get it working faster. Otherwise you have to wait for the fish to absorb the meds thru osmosis since they don't really drink the tank water.

It started as a small red bump and it slowly turned into a sore. It has only recently turned into that big wound. Today it looks like it is turning white. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad though. My other one seems to be doing a little better today. He is swimming a little more and his eyes don't seem to be popping out as much. The only problem that I see with him now is that by the gills he has purple. My other gourami doesn't have this. I will post pics.

I just cleaned my tank. I did a 25% water change. I also added more aquarium salt and waited 10 minuted to add water dechlorianter. I was hoping that like one of the posts said that the chlorine will help fight the infection. I then added some ich medication to the water. The bottle said that it helps fight bacterial infections as well. I removed the carbon filter so that it keeps recycling in the water.

Ouch poor thing

When I got my marmoratus she had a really really nasty wound where half her fun was missing. It was really red and sore looking. The best thing I got told was no matter what keep the water clean. I did many good water changes about every 2 days and it healed up fine. You can put as many chemicals in as you want but water quality is a better healer than any

Really hope it gets better mate

Most reactions

Back