BGK and butterfly fish?

candy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
what do u thinkg about a butterfly fish in with a bgk one stays mainly on the bottom the other the top and im happy to feed strange foods and stuf..anyone got any inportant info about the butterfly fish

:D i just read that i also have a book with them in .. it says pantodon buchholzi or butterfly fish has a drawbridge like mouth and like to eat flys maggots ect....
can be kept with medium-sized (over 3in) mid- or bottom peacefull dwelling fish

tank need not be deep 15-18cm is acceptable but can be housed in deeper tanks with other fish ect....water should be soft acid and well filtered any deteriortion in water quality could lead to fin degeneration and loss of appetite.

they like to lurk beneath floating plants and cork bark also discourage them jumping but they love to jump so tank has to be covered.

so pretty much whats has been said about them has been repeated..im going ot look for more info on stuf i will let u know if i fin anything intresting'

luv
candy

p.s. book is called the ultimate aquarium by mary bailey and gina sandford

It will work fine...I personally kept them together for over a yr until the butterfly suddenly died.(still not sure what it died from)
Both of them love
krill
bloodworms
tubifex
brine shrimp
deli shrimp
fishworms

etc...

BGK also eats spinach,peas,flake and pelleted foods.

i find my butterfly fish loves chunks of prawn!! i also catch live insects for it, i will probable add young platties in there for it aswell.

the combo works well, we keep them togther at work in a 4ft tank never seen fighting between them, the BGK's tend to stay low and wiggle between the java fern roots and bogwood.

Butterflies can get aggressive to other fish on the surface, I've seen my ABF nip at my little bichirs :crazy: No harm done :)

yay... :D it was just by chance i lernt about these fish they are so cool and they seem perfect with the BGK i will probaly only get one and there wont be any other surface dwellers so it should be happy.
thanks for the food list as well it realy helps to know lots befor u go out and get fish :)

yeh i would recomend getting 1!!

i bought 2 and 1 was a bit bigger than the other and after about a week or living happily the bigger one started to bully the litle one and wouldn't let it feed until the big one had filled his belly. come back from work 1 day to find the bigger one had killed the litle one!

dont worry im just going to have the BGK and the butterfly fish....oddball tank only..exiting ay ..im so exited..yippie... anything elce i should know???

only that you could have a good lid over them, they tend to jump about a bit, i'ved heard a few clonks on my glass covers from them!!

thanks for that.dads comign ot make me a wood hood ot go over the glass so its extra safe cant wait im so exited

Most reactions

Back