Beware The Temperature Drop In The Uk

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this with you, especially the newb's.

During this summer :rofl: well it was warmer than winter, my thermometer was permamently on 27 degrees. No surprise there.

During the last few days it dropped to 22 degrees which I presumed was due to the drop in ambient temperature so I turned up the thermostat in the heater.

Next day still at 22 degrees but then I though, just because the ambient temp dropped it should have no effect on the heater other than staying on longer :blush:

I checked the fuse.......yes it had blown. I fitted a new one and first tested the heater in the sink incase of a malfunction.

All is well now but who knows how long the heater had not been working (there is no light in it) and the tank was relying on outside temp only!

Check those thermometers daily :nod:

Very good point Doresy. My heater has a light on it so i see it working every day, but for heaters without a light, it's a very real possibility that it could be broken and you wouldn't know.

I have one of those black unbreakable aluminium heaters which are very good especially if you have heavy orniments.

Only trouble is there is no indicator light.

My therory is that as the thermostat is continually triping in and out this can cause the 3 amp fuse, generally fitted to aquarium heaters, to blow.

I have now fitted a 5 amp fuse

i worry a lot more about temp being too high (heater getting stuck on) than temp being too low

i always figure its a given you check you tank temp daily, obivously some peeps dont (maybe even most peeps)

i worry a lot more about temp being too high (heater getting stuck on) than temp being too low

i always figure its a given you check you tank temp daily, obivously some peeps dont (maybe even most peeps)

Just passing on a reminder based on my experience brought to light by my daily check ;)

its a good point

i wouldnt worry about a heater that doesnt have a light, makes no difference, the thermometre is your best friend here

some of my heaters are in my Juwel internal filter compartments, so even if i wanted to, i wouldnt be able to see the light

good thread,not knocking it

EDIT: "i wouldnt be able to see the light"

LOL :hyper:

I check my temp every time I feed the fish. The thermometer is on the front of the tank so it only takes a sec. Good to remind people though. :)

some of my heaters are in my Juwel internal filter compartments, so even if i wanted to, i wouldnt be able to see the light
when the juwel heater is actualy heating a small red light can be seen from the top of the filter box. could see the glow off mine tonight after the colder water went in for the water change :D

Well in Summer I had my temp set at like 26-27 and my temp was like 30C.

I turned it down to 24 and my temp went to 24-25C.

I check my temps at least once a day and my heaters have lights so i'm ok.

after a couple issues with heaters, I just got in the habit of touching/feeling my tanks and canister filters as I walk buy them... after a few days, you can notice even small changes in temp or vibration indicating a potential problem...

I only use the heater temp gauge as a guide, you can only really trust the tank thermometer.

Watch out when putting a higher rated fuse on the heater though, the fuses have different ratings for a reason, a higher rated fuse may allow the heater to continue to draw current if it develops a fault and cause a shock hazard.

Most reactions

Back